News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: 31% of your website traffic is non-human, potentially malicious
Masses of information passes through the Internet every second of every day but, according to a new study from cloud-based security firm Incapsula, over half of that traffic is not generated by humans.
Over half (51%) of Internet traffic is generated by non-human sources, found Incapsula.
Their study of 1,000 websites found that 31% of that non-human traffic can be dangerous to a business. It includes damaging intruders such as bots that steal data such as customer credit card information and email addresses or crash websites.
In effect this traffic is 'hidden' as it goes unreported in analytics solutions.
"Website owners who think they know who is visiting their sites should think again. Anyone who relies on Google analytics to view site traffic is simply blind to a significant amount of business-damaging visitors," said Marc Gaffan, co-founder of Incapsula.
Incapsula has broken down website traffic into human and non-human forms:-
- 49% is human;
- 51% is non-human consisting of:
20% search engine and other good bot traffic
31% damaging intruders including spies (19%), scrapers (5%), hacking tools (5%) and comment spammers (2%).
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...