News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social networking creeping up on email's crown
Email continues to be the most popular way to communicate via the Internet but for how long can it hold off the surge in social network use?
A new study from research firm Ipsos confirms what most already know - email continues to be the most popular way to communicate. Eighty-five percent of Internet users worldwide use the Internet for email while 62% use it for social networking (defined in the study as visiting social networking sites, forums or blogs).
The numbers vary wildly by country. Hungary has the highest number of email users with 94% logging on to use email. By comparison, the study "Interconnected World: Communication & Social Networking" found just 46% of those in Saudi Arabia use email.
Indonesia and Argentina both show high levels of social networking use with 83% and 76% respectively.
Social networking is slowly becoming the new way to communicate. It enables "true interconnection and engagement", says Keren Gottfried, research manager at Ipsos Global Public Affairs, instead of a message back and forth.
Even in countries where social media use isn't as popular the figures average over a third. Social network use in Japan is 35% and in Saudi Arabia 42%.
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
- BlueKai rolls out 3rd party data options
- Reports: Social, Cloud offering assist to small businesses
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
- How webrooming is taking over ecommerce
- Report: Strong digital presence key to success
Featured White Papers
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...