News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Search users say personalized results a "bad thing"
Nearly all online Americans use search engines but the vast majority are worried about their privacy should the likes of Google begin tracking their search activity.
When the Pew Internet & American Life Project asked 2,253 Americans whether they would be happy for their search engine queries to be tracked they found very few who would. Almost three-quarters said they would "not be OK" with it.
Some went even further in their dislike of the idea that today's searches could alter tomorrow's results. Over two-thirds (65%) said search engines tracking their activity to personalize results was very bad, specifically because it could limit future search results.
Google is, by far, the most popular search engine today with 83% of search users saying they used it most often, up from 47% in 2004. Yahoo trailed with just 6%, the survey found.
"Search engines are increasingly important to people in their navigation of information spaces, but users are generally uncomfortable with the idea of their search histories being used to target information to them," said Kristen Purcell, Pew Internet associate director for research and author of the report (.pdf).
"A clear majority of searchers say that they feel that search engines keeping track of search history is an invasion of privacy, and they also worry about their search results being limited to what's deemed relevant to them."
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...