News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Hitwise: 9 in 10 UK searches made on Google
Internet users in the UK made 2.2 billion visits to search engines in February this year, an increase of 174 million on February 2011, according to new figures released by Experian Hitwise.
December, 2011, was the busiest month ever for search engines in the UK, according to Experian Hitwise, but it won't be long before that record is broken going by 2012 figures.
Google continues to be the most-used search engine, over 90% of searches in the UK are made on the search engine. In February, 2012, Google accounted for a whopping 91.57% of search traffic up nearly 1% on the previous month.
Yahoo was found to send the most clicks to a transactional website (35.5%), followed by Bing (34.9%) and Google (32.8%).
Other findings include:
• The most searched for term in the UK is 'Facebook'
• 1 in every 5 searches ends up on a retail website
• 28% of search queries are just 2 keywords long.
"There was a continuing growth trend in visits to search engines in February 2012, as people relied on search to navigate their way around the Internet," said James Murray, Market Research Analyst at Experian Hitwise.
"Understanding how people are interacting with search engines, which keywords they are using and how successful those searches are, is becoming more critical than ever for companies to successfully market their brand online."
- SMBs: How to remain visible during the election push
- Brands: How to prepare for a non-Flash environment
- BrightEdge: Brands are missing consumer engagement with content
- Experts weigh in on the death of Flash
- Study finds payment issues top affiliates' complaint list
- Study: Indian mobile use skyrocketing
- How travel brands can stop fraud
- Cart abandonment rates lower for charities than other sectors
Featured White Papers
- The Step-By-Step Guide to Building Your Custom Attribution Model
Solving the attribution problem will be one of the most important things you do to boost ROI for your organization....
- What drives Email Open Rates
eDataSource compares certain quarterly email engagement metrics across five somewhat similar retailers, based on our visibility into the email activity...