News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Europe: QR Code interaction in outdoor ads way ahead of AR, NFC
Not many Europeans have scanned a QR Code but, as far as new mobile technologies go, awareness of QR Codes in the context of outdoor, or out-of-home (OOH), advertising is way ahead of others.
According to new research (.pdf) from CBS Outdoor and Kantar Media, a smidgeon under 40% of Europeans have heard about QR Codes. However, the number that have actually scanned one (13%) isn't so flash.
But, it still beats out the likes of augmented reality and NFC. Of the 9,024 Europeans surveyed for the research just 13.69% were aware of augmented reality, in the context of outdoor advertising, with usage at just 4.2%. Awareness of NFC for outdoor advertising was even less at 5.76% with only 1.4% having used it.
More than half (51%) of respondents said they were more likely to pay attention to outdoor advertising than any other form but, found the research, the majority expect some sort of reward, or entertainment, for their interaction. Mobile users are disappointed when only directed to a website.
"The personalization of technology - and the interactive behaviors it facilitates - enable people to interact with brands OOH in new ways and more than ever before," says CBS Outdoor International's chief executive Antonio Alonso.
"The public will reward the brands that get it right by engaging on a deeper level and generating positive word of mouth on and offline, but need to be careful not to deliver a disappointing interactive experience."
In other QR Code news, Facebook has decorated a roof-top of its office in Hacker Way, Menlo Park, with a giant 42-foot QR Code.
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...