News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
British online stores aren't tablet-friendly
Shopping is the number one activity carried out on tablets in the UK, yet only a small number of the IMRG/Hitwise Top 100 Online Retailers have a tablet-optimized website, according to recent research by mobile marketing agency Somo.
Tablet users convert more and spend more yet a disappointing number of UK's top 100 online retailers don't cater for them. According to Somo's analysis, that figure stands at a paltry ten.
Furthermore, just 26% of the IMRG/Hitwise Top 100 Online Retailers had an iPad app and even less (20%) had Android tablet apps. Some stores haven't even caught up with smartphones with 43% having no iPhone apps and 63% with no Android app.
Nick Hynes, Chief Executive Officer at Somo, said online retailers are failing to implement some "very basic stuff". Incredibly only 57% of the online retailers had a website that worked on mobile. PC World, Thomson and BHS are among 20 top retailers that were found to have no tablet and smartphone apps or sites.
"A well built site does retailers the world of good, allowing customers to make shopping comparisons on their phones while in store, and browse leisurely at home on their tablet," said Hynes. "These companies have to start looking at the role that mobile plays in their customer journey; at the moment they're missing a trick."
- SMBs: How to remain visible during the election push
- Brands: How to prepare for a non-Flash environment
- BrightEdge: Brands are missing consumer engagement with content
- Experts weigh in on the death of Flash
- Study finds payment issues top affiliates' complaint list
- Study: Indian mobile use skyrocketing
- How travel brands can stop fraud
- Cart abandonment rates lower for charities than other sectors
Featured White Papers
- The Step-By-Step Guide to Building Your Custom Attribution Model
Solving the attribution problem will be one of the most important things you do to boost ROI for your organization....
- What drives Email Open Rates
eDataSource compares certain quarterly email engagement metrics across five somewhat similar retailers, based on our visibility into the email activity...