News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brands: Why you need to test websites, not just campaigns
In addition to testing the content of email marketing messages and the design and messaging in banner or other online ads, new data from Monetate finds businesses who are testing actual web pages are seeing an increase in consumers engagement.
Why test website pages, in addition to email or banner campaigns?
"Customers can get frustrate and often convert poorly when brands deliver a 'bait and switch' experience that invites them to a webpage that isn't relevant to the original email or search ad they clicked on," said Blair Lyon, Vice President of Marketing, Monetate. "You need to deliver consistency across customer touchpoints and implement a rigorous testing process to make sure that you're optimizing message, creative and call-to-action wherever possible. Over time, you learn that being relevant often outperforms offers and promotions, which in the end increases conversions and maximizes profits."
More brands are testing website landing pages; Monetate estimates that about 66% of companies are testing landing pages to build a better customer experience.
"The underlying principle for brands is to provide the customer with a better and more relevant online experience through the entire session. When the customer experience is enhanced, they will be more likely to make a purchase in the near-term and also become brand loyalists in the longer-term," said Lyon.
Which pages are the most important to test? Monetate suggests testing in-bound pages - pages that are pointed to by email or search campaigns - as well as home pages, product/category pages and product detail pages. Meanwhile, they suggest the most important aspects of a page to test include call-to-action buttons, page layouts, navigation and website copy.
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...