News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brands: Why you need to test websites, not just campaigns
In addition to testing the content of email marketing messages and the design and messaging in banner or other online ads, new data from Monetate finds businesses who are testing actual web pages are seeing an increase in consumers engagement.
Why test website pages, in addition to email or banner campaigns?
"Customers can get frustrate and often convert poorly when brands deliver a 'bait and switch' experience that invites them to a webpage that isn't relevant to the original email or search ad they clicked on," said Blair Lyon, Vice President of Marketing, Monetate. "You need to deliver consistency across customer touchpoints and implement a rigorous testing process to make sure that you're optimizing message, creative and call-to-action wherever possible. Over time, you learn that being relevant often outperforms offers and promotions, which in the end increases conversions and maximizes profits."
More brands are testing website landing pages; Monetate estimates that about 66% of companies are testing landing pages to build a better customer experience.
"The underlying principle for brands is to provide the customer with a better and more relevant online experience through the entire session. When the customer experience is enhanced, they will be more likely to make a purchase in the near-term and also become brand loyalists in the longer-term," said Lyon.
Which pages are the most important to test? Monetate suggests testing in-bound pages - pages that are pointed to by email or search campaigns - as well as home pages, product/category pages and product detail pages. Meanwhile, they suggest the most important aspects of a page to test include call-to-action buttons, page layouts, navigation and website copy.
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
- Study IDs disconnect between brands, consumers
- Consumers trust doctors and government with personal data more than they do advertisers
- Shoppers don't care for social integration of mobile apps
- 44% of Twitter's 982 million accounts never used
- Report: Travel sites missing the data mark
- Brands: How mobile wallets can improve loyalty programs
- Survey: SMB's need more tax education
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...