News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brands: How to do personalization better
Over the past few months buzzwords like 'personalize' and 'local targeting' have been batted around - a lot - in the online space. Some brands have jumped in, trying to create a personalized, local experience online only to see few actual results. Want a better shot at doing personalization right? Read on.
Personalization, says our expert, is all about relevance which is all about successful customer experience. John Kottcamp is the Chief Strategy and Marketing Office with Tahzoo, an online shop specializing in creating superior customer experiences online.
"We believe that customer experience management (CEM), which is ultimately what Tahzoo offers, is quickly becoming not only the fastest growing segment of marketing, but the final step in being able to create a business strategy that understands the new role of the consumer and puts companies on the road to being truly customer-centric," said Kottcamp. "The key to personalization is having a robust content management system that can intelligently select and present the right content, at the right time, via the right channel to the right customer."
To do personalization 'right', Kottcamp explains, companies need to invest is unique messaging tactics, unique dashboards for customers and employees and trade on location in some cases. This takes a lot of organization and pre-planning, which some companies aren't doing.
"There are silos between channels like broadcast, web, email," said Kottcamp. "But different product groups are going after the same audience and fighting each other for share of wallet. To be successful in CEM, companies have to prepare and this often means tackling sometimes significant change management issues."
Kottcamp's top three tips for personalization:
• Understand what is important to your customers, not for your company or brand
• Focus on creating and managing content that lends itself to personalization - by region, language, audience or media
• Evaluate your maturity
"Do an evaluation as to how ready you are to embrace customer experience management across the company and only then will you be ready to successfully use personalization to create relevant experiences that are rewarded by customers with their spend, their loyalty and affinity."
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
- BlueKai rolls out 3rd party data options
- Reports: Social, Cloud offering assist to small businesses
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
Featured White Papers
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...