News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brands: How to do personalization better
Over the past few months buzzwords like 'personalize' and 'local targeting' have been batted around - a lot - in the online space. Some brands have jumped in, trying to create a personalized, local experience online only to see few actual results. Want a better shot at doing personalization right? Read on.
Personalization, says our expert, is all about relevance which is all about successful customer experience. John Kottcamp is the Chief Strategy and Marketing Office with Tahzoo, an online shop specializing in creating superior customer experiences online.
"We believe that customer experience management (CEM), which is ultimately what Tahzoo offers, is quickly becoming not only the fastest growing segment of marketing, but the final step in being able to create a business strategy that understands the new role of the consumer and puts companies on the road to being truly customer-centric," said Kottcamp. "The key to personalization is having a robust content management system that can intelligently select and present the right content, at the right time, via the right channel to the right customer."
To do personalization 'right', Kottcamp explains, companies need to invest is unique messaging tactics, unique dashboards for customers and employees and trade on location in some cases. This takes a lot of organization and pre-planning, which some companies aren't doing.
"There are silos between channels like broadcast, web, email," said Kottcamp. "But different product groups are going after the same audience and fighting each other for share of wallet. To be successful in CEM, companies have to prepare and this often means tackling sometimes significant change management issues."
Kottcamp's top three tips for personalization:
• Understand what is important to your customers, not for your company or brand
• Focus on creating and managing content that lends itself to personalization - by region, language, audience or media
• Evaluate your maturity
"Do an evaluation as to how ready you are to embrace customer experience management across the company and only then will you be ready to successfully use personalization to create relevant experiences that are rewarded by customers with their spend, their loyalty and affinity."
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
- Study: Mobiles don't want to be interrupted
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...