News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
6 in 10 UK consumers would avoid NFC mobile payments
UK consumers are wary of NFC mobile payments and brands needs to address the issue with awareness campaigns. According to new research by VoucherCodes.co.uk, six out of 10 consumers in the UK would avoid using NFC technologies to make mobile payments and over half are unable to name a single mobile payment brand.
Consumers in the UK aren't abou t to start using NFC technologies anytime soon, reveals a survey of 2,000 adults by VoucherCodes.co.uk. Even if they had the capability to do so, 60% would avoid using their mobile to pay for goods.
It comes as no surprise to learn that 36% cited security concerns as the reason for their avoidance. When asked which companies they would most trust with mobile payments, consumers considered Visa the safest with 30% of the vote, followed by PayPal with 20% and MasterCard third with 18%. Apple and Google received 6% and 4% of the votes respectively.
However, over half (55%) were unable to name any of the mobile payment brands, suggesting more work needs to be done to raise awareness in the UK not only of the brands but of the technology itself.
Just 17% of respondents were interested in using NFC technology but even they harbored concerns about the technology working.
"With NFC and other mobile payment systems still very much on the fringe in the UK, it's no surprise to learn that most people are confused and a little wary about adopting the technology," said Duncan Jennings, co-founder of VoucherCodes.co.uk.
"However while low levels of awareness are clearly a challenge for service providers, they also represent a massive opportunity for brands to win the trust of consumers and cement their position in this increasingly competitive space."
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...