News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
6 in 10 UK consumers would avoid NFC mobile payments
UK consumers are wary of NFC mobile payments and brands needs to address the issue with awareness campaigns. According to new research by VoucherCodes.co.uk, six out of 10 consumers in the UK would avoid using NFC technologies to make mobile payments and over half are unable to name a single mobile payment brand.
Consumers in the UK aren't abou t to start using NFC technologies anytime soon, reveals a survey of 2,000 adults by VoucherCodes.co.uk. Even if they had the capability to do so, 60% would avoid using their mobile to pay for goods.
It comes as no surprise to learn that 36% cited security concerns as the reason for their avoidance. When asked which companies they would most trust with mobile payments, consumers considered Visa the safest with 30% of the vote, followed by PayPal with 20% and MasterCard third with 18%. Apple and Google received 6% and 4% of the votes respectively.
However, over half (55%) were unable to name any of the mobile payment brands, suggesting more work needs to be done to raise awareness in the UK not only of the brands but of the technology itself.
Just 17% of respondents were interested in using NFC technology but even they harbored concerns about the technology working.
"With NFC and other mobile payment systems still very much on the fringe in the UK, it's no surprise to learn that most people are confused and a little wary about adopting the technology," said Duncan Jennings, co-founder of VoucherCodes.co.uk.
"However while low levels of awareness are clearly a challenge for service providers, they also represent a massive opportunity for brands to win the trust of consumers and cement their position in this increasingly competitive space."
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
- Report: More ad dollars to focus on branded content
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...