News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ypulse: Youths think AR apps as confusing, pointless as QR Codes
A new study published by Ypulse appears to show as much confusion surrounding mobile augmented reality technology as there is with QR Codes.
Augmented reality is a "futuristic media of the moment" according to Ypulse, yet even tech-savvy Millennials are having problems getting to grips with it.
Just 11% of high school and college students have ever used an augmented reality app. Of those that have used augmented reality apps just over a third (34%) think they're useful and easy to use and 26% think they're easy to use but not particularly helpful.
As with QR Codes, many young mobile users just don't see the point in augmented reality. Sure, it's clever and fun to use but without any real reward or value to the user the entire process can appear pointless.
However, more students think augmented reality apps are easier to use than QR Codes - 60% vs. 51%).
"That's likely because brands and companies that offer the apps have devoted a fair bit of their promotional efforts to explaining how to use AR, whereas retailers seemed to slap QR codes everywhere in the hopes that shoppers would figure them out," says Melanie Shreffler, Ypulse's editor-in-chief.
Late last year a survey by Archrival of 500 students from college campuses across the US found little enthusiasm for QR Codes. The little black and white pixilated squares were largely ignored, even though 81% of students had a smartphone and 80% had previously seen a QR Code.
Difficulties arose because some believed all that was needed was a camera and were not aware that a third-party app was required. Many got bored with the process as it took too long and others didn't want to download the scanning app.
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
- Brexit, Trump leave marketers skittish about targeting
- Email analysis reveals extent of email attacks on businesses
- Report IDs the next big tech products
- Brands: How to prep for the subscription economy
- Expert: What Buffett's Walmart sale means
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...