News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ypulse: Youths think AR apps as confusing, pointless as QR Codes
A new study published by Ypulse appears to show as much confusion surrounding mobile augmented reality technology as there is with QR Codes.
Augmented reality is a "futuristic media of the moment" according to Ypulse, yet even tech-savvy Millennials are having problems getting to grips with it.
Just 11% of high school and college students have ever used an augmented reality app. Of those that have used augmented reality apps just over a third (34%) think they're useful and easy to use and 26% think they're easy to use but not particularly helpful.
As with QR Codes, many young mobile users just don't see the point in augmented reality. Sure, it's clever and fun to use but without any real reward or value to the user the entire process can appear pointless.
However, more students think augmented reality apps are easier to use than QR Codes - 60% vs. 51%).
"That's likely because brands and companies that offer the apps have devoted a fair bit of their promotional efforts to explaining how to use AR, whereas retailers seemed to slap QR codes everywhere in the hopes that shoppers would figure them out," says Melanie Shreffler, Ypulse's editor-in-chief.
Late last year a survey by Archrival of 500 students from college campuses across the US found little enthusiasm for QR Codes. The little black and white pixilated squares were largely ignored, even though 81% of students had a smartphone and 80% had previously seen a QR Code.
Difficulties arose because some believed all that was needed was a camera and were not aware that a third-party app was required. Many got bored with the process as it took too long and others didn't want to download the scanning app.
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
- Top 3 tips to improve employee productivity
- Retailers: Why you need live online assistance for the 2014 holidays
- Top 3 tips to create better transactional email messages
- Facebook enables ad targeting by connection speed
- UK: Lousy public holiday weather drives take-out food search surge
- Release makes push notifications actionable
- Early results show skipping ads improves engagement
Featured White Papers
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...
- Ready, Set, Send: Marketing Automation and the Customer Lifecycle
Much like running a marathon, building a successful marketing program takes dedication, patience, training and a lot of stamina. These...