News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ypulse: Youths think AR apps as confusing, pointless as QR Codes
A new study published by Ypulse appears to show as much confusion surrounding mobile augmented reality technology as there is with QR Codes.
Augmented reality is a "futuristic media of the moment" according to Ypulse, yet even tech-savvy Millennials are having problems getting to grips with it.
Just 11% of high school and college students have ever used an augmented reality app. Of those that have used augmented reality apps just over a third (34%) think they're useful and easy to use and 26% think they're easy to use but not particularly helpful.
As with QR Codes, many young mobile users just don't see the point in augmented reality. Sure, it's clever and fun to use but without any real reward or value to the user the entire process can appear pointless.
However, more students think augmented reality apps are easier to use than QR Codes - 60% vs. 51%).
"That's likely because brands and companies that offer the apps have devoted a fair bit of their promotional efforts to explaining how to use AR, whereas retailers seemed to slap QR codes everywhere in the hopes that shoppers would figure them out," says Melanie Shreffler, Ypulse's editor-in-chief.
Late last year a survey by Archrival of 500 students from college campuses across the US found little enthusiasm for QR Codes. The little black and white pixilated squares were largely ignored, even though 81% of students had a smartphone and 80% had previously seen a QR Code.
Difficulties arose because some believed all that was needed was a camera and were not aware that a third-party app was required. Many got bored with the process as it took too long and others didn't want to download the scanning app.
- Consumer engagement with mobile ads on the rise
- Android dominates smartphone market
- How to tell if social is right for your brand
- Ecomm Roundup: Faster checkouts and better personalization
- Top 3 tips to use data better this holiday season
- Microbusinesses dipping into personal savings
- British consumers will give up more personal data for discounts, free delivery
- How dark social can impact brand
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...