News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Symantec: Mobile redefining how brands do business
Mobile devices are changing the way consumers interact with brands, content and information, but the mobile infrastructure is also changing the way businesses do business online. From how employees connect to the business to how consumers find a brand online, the mobile web is both easing communication and - in some cases - increasing the risks to business.
A new survey from Symantec offers tips and troubleshooting advice for small and large businesses in the mobile space. How big is the mobile potential? First, look at it from a consumer standpoint. According to comScore in 2011 just under 10% of all digital content was consumed through a mobile device; in fact, their research finds that throughout the year most mobile phone owners consumed some type of mobile media on their device.
From a business standpoint, that consumption rate is one reason to enter the mobile fray, because the consuming of mobile content doesn't have to be news or entertainment - it can also be work related. Salespeople can utilize tablets to create presentations and then serve those presentations to a client through the tablet. Other employees can remain connected to work through a smartphone or tablet via email, text and even app interfaces.
Some interesting findings from Symantec include:
• 59% of businesses are utilizing apps for line-of-business to improve efficiency
• 25% believe mobile computing risks were 'extremely high' - fears include malware, loss of sensitive information and lost/stolen devices
• Globally, businesses have lost an estimated $247,000 because of mobile computing risks
• IT costs rising to combat security risks/make the mobile interface safer for businesses
In the face of the risks of mobile security how should a business proceed? Symantec suggests first including mobile security as an important part of any mobile strategy, implement security protocols and ensure that all security software is up to date all the time.
"Security and management for mobile devices should be integrated into the overall corporate security and management framework and administered in the same way - ideally using compatible solutions and unified policies. This creates operational efficiencies, but more importantly, it ensures consistent protection across their infrastructures, whether it is on premises or in the cloud. Security policies should be unified across all popular mobile operating systems and should include DLP, encryption, and strong authentication," was written in the report.
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
- How to build loyalty through games
- Weekend Shopping Roundup: Mobile hot, social is not
- Top 3 tips to improve SMB security
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...