News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew reveals rise in the awkward task of de-friending
Facebook users, once driven to collect friends, are now beginning to manage their accounts, and contacts, more efficiently, according to a new study from Pew. While de-friending is still seen as an awkward online moment women, it seems, are more likely to hit the delete button than men.
Pew's latest insights into the behavior of social networkers reveals that the three major metrics for managing profiles are up compared with three years ago.
In 2009, 53% of users had de-friended someone. That figure has now risen to 63%. The number of users deleting comments is also up from 36% in 2009 to 44%, as are the number of photo tags being removed up from 30% to today's 37%.
When it comes to de-friending undesirable followers on Facebook many find it a difficult, if not awkward, task. Pew's study found that women (67%) were more likely to hit the delete button than men (58%). Being de-friended has shown to evoke powerful emotions, even homicide.
Overall, keeping profiles private is on the up. Over half (58%) now set their main profile to 'Friends Only' and just 19% allow access to 'Friends of Friends'. Two in five profiles are left completely open to the public and, while many of these are commentators or people seeking a wide audience, some are the result of users who are unaware of how to manage Facebook privacy settings. Pew discovered that almost half (49%) find managing their privacy settings an easy task but 48% say it's hard to do and 2% have real difficulties.
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
Featured White Papers
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...