News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew reveals rise in the awkward task of de-friending
Facebook users, once driven to collect friends, are now beginning to manage their accounts, and contacts, more efficiently, according to a new study from Pew. While de-friending is still seen as an awkward online moment women, it seems, are more likely to hit the delete button than men.
Pew's latest insights into the behavior of social networkers reveals that the three major metrics for managing profiles are up compared with three years ago.
In 2009, 53% of users had de-friended someone. That figure has now risen to 63%. The number of users deleting comments is also up from 36% in 2009 to 44%, as are the number of photo tags being removed up from 30% to today's 37%.
When it comes to de-friending undesirable followers on Facebook many find it a difficult, if not awkward, task. Pew's study found that women (67%) were more likely to hit the delete button than men (58%). Being de-friended has shown to evoke powerful emotions, even homicide.
Overall, keeping profiles private is on the up. Over half (58%) now set their main profile to 'Friends Only' and just 19% allow access to 'Friends of Friends'. Two in five profiles are left completely open to the public and, while many of these are commentators or people seeking a wide audience, some are the result of users who are unaware of how to manage Facebook privacy settings. Pew discovered that almost half (49%) find managing their privacy settings an easy task but 48% say it's hard to do and 2% have real difficulties.
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...