News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew reveals rise in the awkward task of de-friending
Facebook users, once driven to collect friends, are now beginning to manage their accounts, and contacts, more efficiently, according to a new study from Pew. While de-friending is still seen as an awkward online moment women, it seems, are more likely to hit the delete button than men.
Pew's latest insights into the behavior of social networkers reveals that the three major metrics for managing profiles are up compared with three years ago.
In 2009, 53% of users had de-friended someone. That figure has now risen to 63%. The number of users deleting comments is also up from 36% in 2009 to 44%, as are the number of photo tags being removed up from 30% to today's 37%.
When it comes to de-friending undesirable followers on Facebook many find it a difficult, if not awkward, task. Pew's study found that women (67%) were more likely to hit the delete button than men (58%). Being de-friended has shown to evoke powerful emotions, even homicide.
Overall, keeping profiles private is on the up. Over half (58%) now set their main profile to 'Friends Only' and just 19% allow access to 'Friends of Friends'. Two in five profiles are left completely open to the public and, while many of these are commentators or people seeking a wide audience, some are the result of users who are unaware of how to manage Facebook privacy settings. Pew discovered that almost half (49%) find managing their privacy settings an easy task but 48% say it's hard to do and 2% have real difficulties.
- GoDaddy, Microsoft partner for SMB solution
- Report: 1 in 4 execs want more transparency
- SMB Roundup: Launches to simplify content, listings
- Study tracks effects of Google search engine updates on user behavior
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
- Report urges brands to go their own way and sell direct
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
Featured White Papers
- Re-Engineer Your Business For Mobile Moments
More than ever, customers are turning to their mobile devices to browse, shop, and research. This increase in usage puts...
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...