News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Nielsen: 33% of Americans streaming long-form content
As the number of Americans with home Internet access increase and as those users switch from dial-up to broadband to wireless they're also switching how they utilize the content available. Once, the 'Net was a way to email friends, family or work, to find silly pictures or get product information.
Those are still some of the leading activities, but as our access to online content has improved so has the way we interact with that content - especially in the form of streaming media. According to a new report from NielsenWire one-third of Americans streamed some kind of long-form content - television programming, movies, etc. - from a paid subscription service in 2011. Netflix and Hulu, the two biggest service providers, saw 6.2 million and 12 million unique streamers in October 2011 respectively.
Perhaps most interesting is who is streaming. Hulu's biggest bases of viewers are between 18 and 34 years of age (31%) or over age 50 (33%) while Netflix draws in primarily younger consumers - 40% between age 18-34. Women are mostly likely to stream content on both services, by the way.
As consumers stream that long-form content, companies are monetizing it through video ads. Hulu remains the top network for video ad impressions, serving 540 million ad minutes (January 2012); that is an average of 43 ads per viewer, finds comScore. Adap.tv and the BrightRoll Video Network each served over 350 ad minutes in January.
According to comScore more than 84% of the US online audience watched video content in January 2012; each clip averaged 6 minutes. Video ads accounted for just over 12% of all video content viewed.
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...