News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Cisco: More web-connected mobiles than humans by 2016
Over the next four years the use of mobile will skyrocket and, according to new forecasts released by Cisco, by 2016 the number of devices in use will outnumber humans.
According to Cisco's Visual Networking Index Forecast there will be more than 10 billion Internet-connected devices in 2016, more than the projected world population of 7.3 billion individuals.
As a result, global mobile data traffic is expected to rise 18-fold to 10.8 exabytes per month. That's a run rate of 130 exabytes per year, the equivalent to 33 billion DVDs or 4.3 quadrillion MP3 files (music/audio).
"By 2016, 60% of mobile users - 3 billion people worldwide - will belong to the 'Gigabyte Club,' each generating more than one gigabyte of mobile data traffic per month," said Suraj Shetty, vice president of product and solutions marketing at Cisco.
"By contrast, in 2011, only one-half percent of mobile users qualified. This impressive growth in mobile traffic will be driven by more powerful devices, notably smartphones and tablets, using faster networks, such as 4G and Wi-Fi, to access more applications, particularly data-intensive video."
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
- The best practices for mobile brands in 2014
- Forecast: Big data to push SMBs into 2014
- Report: TV ads pushing engagement, intent
- Report: Online wide open for CPG brands
- Webrooming, Showrooming pushing shopper engagement
Featured White Papers
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...