News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brits' use of Facebook plateauing
Brand engagement on Facebook may not be as positive as previously thought. A new study from YouGov in the UK found many British online consumers aren't influenced by their friends' brand activity and many are becoming bored with the social network.
When YouGov asked 1,275 UK consumers whether they would be more positive about a brand that their friends had followed or 'Liked', nearly half (44%) said no, they wouldn't.
Furthermore, despite hearing good things about a brand 43% wouldn't talk about it on a social media site.
And what about those ads that are targeted and personalized to a user's profile activities? Consumers aren't impressed. Just under half (47%) said they don't like them.
"It appears that whilst social media can be a key tool in the brand marketer's armory, in particular to maximize commitment amongst those already highly engaged with the brand, it has not quite reached the effectiveness necessary to be considered as a truly mass media marketing tool," said Dan Brilot, Media Consulting Director at YouGov.
There are also signs of Facebook fatigue among British social media users. YouGov's survey found that Facebook's popularity appears to be fading. Just under a quarter (23%) that actively use Facebook say they use the social network less than they did last year and 19% expect to use it even less in one year's time.
- What to expect on the video front in 2014
- How to create a solid A/B testing strategy
- Reports: Brands need strategy for mobile success
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
Featured White Papers
- How-to Guide to Online Customer Community Technologies
This Gleansight benchmark report explores what community experiences offer the greatest value to businesses. It looks at what technologies, processes...
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...