News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
British mobile shoppers biggest in Europe
For the third year running the British are the biggest mobile shoppers in Europe, according to a new study from Kelkoo, and shopping via mobile is set to rise a further 53% in the UK over the coming year.
Six years ago there were virtually no smartphones in use in the British Isles. Today 46% of mobile phone users in the country pack the power of a smartphone in their pocket - that's around 24.6 million devices. Across Europe smartphone ownership is around 38%.
British smartphone users are leading the way in Europe when it comes to shopping via their device. A study, commissioned by Kelkoo and conducted by the Centre for Retail Research, found that mobile shopping in the UK is set to rise 53% in the next year to reach $7.1 billion. That's an increase of 584% from 2010's total of $1.1 billion.
The rise in mobile spending means that, for the third year running, British mobile shoppers will be the biggest mobile spenders in Europe followed by Germany ($4.2 billion) and France ($3 billion).
"Over the last two years, shopping on mobile phones has increased exponentially as a result of simple and secure payment systems, better functionality and increased uptake of 'always on' mobile devices such as iPads and tablets," said Chris Simpson, CMO at Kelkoo.
"The fact that mobile retailing in the UK has grown by a staggering 584% since 2010 alone highlights how UK consumers are going beyond the PC to find the best online prices wherever they are. At Kelkoo we've seen phenomenal growth in mobile shopping comparisons."
- Tapjoy: Ad engagements preferred by mobiles
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
- Report: More ad dollars to focus on branded content
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...