News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
2012: All about the 'fourth' screen?
According to comScore's 2012 Mobile Future in Focus report businesses - and consumers - will look more to the mobile screen in the upcoming year. And that mobile screen won't just be on a smartphone. Tablets and their 'fourth' screen, researchers believe, will lead more people into the mobile space not just to play games or check in on social networks but to read and watch content, view advertising and engage with favorite brands.
Some interesting findings from the report include:
• More than 40% of both US and EU5 (France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the UK) consumers have converted to smartphones
• In 2011 app use exceeding mobile browser use
• Half of US shoppers used a smartphone to research purchases, 1 in 5 scanned barcodes in-store
• 64 million US consumers and 48 million EU consumers engaged with social networks via mobile
• 15% of US mobile users also use tablets; 40 million tablet units were shipped in 2011
"As the industry continues to innovate and more consumers look to multiple devices and platforms to consume digital media, we expect the mobile and connected device landscape to be shaken up even further in 2012," said Mark Donovan, comScore Senior Vice President of Mobile. "As mobile channels present a more personal, social, and ubiquitous experience to consumers, advertisers and publishers have an opportunity to better engage target audiences, given an understanding of how to connect and leverage the unique characteristics of these emerging platforms."
Meanwhile as rumors fly about the release date and options for the upcoming iPad 3, a TechBargains survey finds that not only will version 1 and 2 buyers look into an iPad 3, but about half of Kindle Fire owners are interested in buying the new product as well. Of all those surveyed 48% said they were interested in the iPad 3.
"When it comes to tablets, Apple's iPad will continue to remain the leader," said Yung Trang, President and Editor in Chief of TechBargains.com. "But what's very interesting is that Kindle Fire was released just three months ago and yet more than half of Fire owners already know that they will, in fact, buy the iPad 3. This could be a commentary on consumer dissatisfaction with Amazon's product or simply a message that the iPad's user experience remains unparalleled."
Younger consumers (18-34), finds a new report from Nielsen and NM Incite, make up the leading age range of the mobile space with one third (33%) owning a tablet and 39% owning a smartphone. Comparatively in the 35-49 age group 29% own tablets and 30% own smartphones. Young consumers lead all other age demographics in both tablet and smartphone ownership.
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- We2 to connect NYC's retailers and consumers via 'social WiFi'
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...