News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Research: SMB social media use set to explode
The amount small and medium-sized businesses spend on social media is set to almost double this year, according to a new study released by market research firm Borrell Associates, catching up with paid search.
Borrell's "Main Street Goes Social" study found that SMBs will spend $2billion in 2012 on social marketing activity, up from $1.1billion in 2011.
Almost two-thirds (64.4%) of SMBs currently market themselves via social media sites, according to the Borrell report which is based on an online survey that ran January through August 2011 and attracted 4,271 respondents. That figure is expected to approach 80% during 2012.
Social media was ranked as the third online ad category among SMBs with 13.7% of online spend allocated, according to the survey, not far behind email marketing (17.4% of online ad spend) and search engine marketing (15.1%). The category ranked ahead of banner ads (8.5%), streaming video (8%) and mobile (5.5%).
So what metrics are SMBs using to ascertain their success with social? According to Borrell, over half (57%) use "new customers" as the key metric while "additional Fans, Friends and Followers" ranked second (45.6%) just ahead of "increased visits to business social network pages" (44.2%).
Social marketing expenditure by SMBs is expected reach $3.9billion in 2013.
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
- How webrooming is taking over ecommerce
- Report: Strong digital presence key to success
- Report: SMBs falling behind in tech
- Mobile the boost loyalty programs need
- British Land: UK retail stores must adapt or die
Featured White Papers
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...