News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Game-based CAPTCHA alternative offers increased security, fun for users
CAPTCHAs have long been used as a means of defense against hackers and bots but the increasing trend of outsourcing the hacking of CAPTCHAs to cheap labor forces could prompt the search for a different method. How about the gamification of the verification process?
A CAPTCHA, or 'Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart', is a challenge used on websites to verify that engagement with a website is being performed by a human and not generated by a computer. They are used to block bots and prevent all types of spam, scrapers and other malicious attacks.
However, the CAPTCHAs themselves are under attack from cybercrime perpetrators who are outsourcing the cracking of the system to large forces of cheap labor.
It's time for a new verification process and one company, Are You A Human, has taken up the challenge. Instead of the often illegible text and scribbles used for the current CAPTCHAs, Are You A Human is using game mechanics.
Called the PlayThru, their verson of the verification process requires users to complete a very simple 2-3 second game. According to the developers it's not only more fun and less frustrating than CAPTCHAs it's also more secure.
"The PlayThru is more secure than CAPTCHA because the PlayThru requires over five levels of interaction with the game versus simple optical character recognition for CAPTCHA," says the company in its FAQs.
"In addition, a bot does not know the specific type of game it will be served at any one time. We have many games with different instructions in rotation at any one time, and a bot has no idea what he will get in any instance."
You can try out a PlayThru on Are You A Human's website.
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
- Report: More money to focus on branded content
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
Featured White Papers
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...