News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Game-based CAPTCHA alternative offers increased security, fun for users
CAPTCHAs have long been used as a means of defense against hackers and bots but the increasing trend of outsourcing the hacking of CAPTCHAs to cheap labor forces could prompt the search for a different method. How about the gamification of the verification process?
A CAPTCHA, or 'Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart', is a challenge used on websites to verify that engagement with a website is being performed by a human and not generated by a computer. They are used to block bots and prevent all types of spam, scrapers and other malicious attacks.
However, the CAPTCHAs themselves are under attack from cybercrime perpetrators who are outsourcing the cracking of the system to large forces of cheap labor.
It's time for a new verification process and one company, Are You A Human, has taken up the challenge. Instead of the often illegible text and scribbles used for the current CAPTCHAs, Are You A Human is using game mechanics.
Called the PlayThru, their verson of the verification process requires users to complete a very simple 2-3 second game. According to the developers it's not only more fun and less frustrating than CAPTCHAs it's also more secure.
"The PlayThru is more secure than CAPTCHA because the PlayThru requires over five levels of interaction with the game versus simple optical character recognition for CAPTCHA," says the company in its FAQs.
"In addition, a bot does not know the specific type of game it will be served at any one time. We have many games with different instructions in rotation at any one time, and a bot has no idea what he will get in any instance."
You can try out a PlayThru on Are You A Human's website.
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...