BizReport

RSS feed Get our RSS feed

News by Topic




BizReport : Social Marketing : December 22, 2011


Social logins pushing sign-ups, engagement

As social network use has risen more consumers have begun switching to social logins outside their networks. Social logins basically allow consumers to use their social network profile login to sign up for newsletters, gain access to content and other online information rather than creating new accounts for every website they use.

by Kristina Knight

Janrain, a leader in the space reports 42% of social logins use Facebook information; the other 58% used logins from networks ranging from Payal to Yahoo and Google as well. I recently chatted with Larry Drebes, Janrain CEO about trends in the space - and why more businesses may want to adopt social logins in 2012.

Kristina: What makes the social login such an attractive feature for consumers?

Larry: In a nutshell, social login solves the challenge of creating a new user name and password for each website that you want to interact with on-line. As we conduct more of our personal and professional life on the web, there is a very real scalability problem that social login solves in an extremely convenient and easy way. By enabling a consumer to securely enter a site with an existing social identity removes the frustration of filling our registration forms and setting up a site-specific user name and password. And then there is the return experience. How many of us go through this process once for a site only to forget our user name and password on our subsequent visit? We've conducted consumer research that shows consumers are so frustrated by traditional online registration processes that: Three in four (75%) people are bothered by registering on a website and will change their behavior; as a result 54% may leave the site or not return. But, on the bright side, 66% see social login as solving these problems.

Kristina: Are there dangers in social logins - like using the same password on too many sites?

Larry: There aren't inherent dangers in social login, but a significant advantage is the transparency of the process and adherence to the Terms of Service (TOS) of each provider. The consumer is presented with a permissions screen which explains what specific types of information the website would like to access. The consumer is always in control and can deny access. We advise our customers that a best practice is to only ask for information that will be used, thereby minimizing fields of information requested. Social sharing seemed to take off in the beginning of 2011; are you seeing people sharing more through social networks? Yes. More than ever, people are sharing comments, purchases, reviews and other content from the web to their social networks. Facebook and Twitter are far and away the most popular sharing destinations, but Yahoo!, LinkedIn and MySpace maintain preference on niche sites that are catered to their audience (B2B sites for LinkedIn and music sites for MySpace).

Kristina: What are users sharing - deals/coupons, information, video content?

Larry: The answer is really dependent on the type of site and the opportunities presented to the user for share. For example, on media sites, commonly shared content is a posted comment or an article read. Videos are popular shared content on an entertainment or music sites. New music videos or TV show clips are ideal to share with one's social community. Or a site like Citysearch drives significant referral traffic back to its site by prompting users to share reviews back to their Facebook community. Across the hundreds of thousands of sites using our solution, we see an average of 13 clicks back to the site for each piece of content shared socially.






Tags: Janrain, Larry Drebes, social login, social marketing, social marketing tips








Subscribe to BizReport







http://www.bizreport.com/2011/12/social-logins-pushing-sign-ups-engagement.html

 

 

Copyright © 1999- BizReport. All rights reserved.
Republication or redistribution of BizReport content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
BizReport shall not be liable for any errors in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.