News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Search, not social, key to local business promotion
When looking for information about local businesses do you head to a social network to find the answers? If you do you're in the minority, according to new research from The Pew Internet and American Life Project.
While almost half (47%) of adults use the Internet to seek out information about local businesses, very few turn to the likes of Twitter and Facebook.
Over a third (36%) use search engines to find local news and information and 16% rely on specialty sites, but only 1% rely on a social networking site or Twitter. This doesn't mean businesses should abandon social but does warn against relying on it. Instead, businesses should focus their attention on their website and search marketing activities.
Pew's survey found that other ways to find local businesses include newspapers (30%), word of mouth (22%), local television (8%) and local radio (5%).
"In a pretty short time, the Internet, particularly search engines, have come to be crucial sources of local information for communities," said Lee Rainie, director of the Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project.
"There are so many more ways people are getting information that it is probably disorienting particularly for people who have been in the local business scene for many years."
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
- Consumers expect shopping experience to be revolutionized by wearable tech
- Highest online parcel volume recorded in October 2015
- How to convince wary app users to share location data
- How to protect against fake reviews
- 3 IT trends to watch in 2016
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...