News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Search, not social, key to local business promotion
When looking for information about local businesses do you head to a social network to find the answers? If you do you're in the minority, according to new research from The Pew Internet and American Life Project.
While almost half (47%) of adults use the Internet to seek out information about local businesses, very few turn to the likes of Twitter and Facebook.
Over a third (36%) use search engines to find local news and information and 16% rely on specialty sites, but only 1% rely on a social networking site or Twitter. This doesn't mean businesses should abandon social but does warn against relying on it. Instead, businesses should focus their attention on their website and search marketing activities.
Pew's survey found that other ways to find local businesses include newspapers (30%), word of mouth (22%), local television (8%) and local radio (5%).
"In a pretty short time, the Internet, particularly search engines, have come to be crucial sources of local information for communities," said Lee Rainie, director of the Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project.
"There are so many more ways people are getting information that it is probably disorienting particularly for people who have been in the local business scene for many years."
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
- Expert: How to better leverage content via mobile
- Blogs play an important role in the path to purchase
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....