News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Search, not social, key to local business promotion
When looking for information about local businesses do you head to a social network to find the answers? If you do you're in the minority, according to new research from The Pew Internet and American Life Project.
While almost half (47%) of adults use the Internet to seek out information about local businesses, very few turn to the likes of Twitter and Facebook.
Over a third (36%) use search engines to find local news and information and 16% rely on specialty sites, but only 1% rely on a social networking site or Twitter. This doesn't mean businesses should abandon social but does warn against relying on it. Instead, businesses should focus their attention on their website and search marketing activities.
Pew's survey found that other ways to find local businesses include newspapers (30%), word of mouth (22%), local television (8%) and local radio (5%).
"In a pretty short time, the Internet, particularly search engines, have come to be crucial sources of local information for communities," said Lee Rainie, director of the Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project.
"There are so many more ways people are getting information that it is probably disorienting particularly for people who have been in the local business scene for many years."
- Half of British consumers believe drone deliveries will never happen
- Social Roundup: How brands are engaging in social
- Targeted ads give Internet users the creeps
- Online shoppers overwhelmed by choice
- Smartwatches: time for a new ad format
- Translation challenges stymying online communication
- Mobile Roundup: Commerce, security options released
- Playlists the perfect target for brands on Spotify
Featured White Papers
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...