News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile, tablet conversions spike, Cyber Week brings 3 $1b-plus days
The first full week of December is here but already there is joy among online retailers. According to comScore 'Cyber Week' gave online merchants three days surpassing the $1 billion sales mark; all told, shoppers spent more than $6 billion online.
Black Friday is the kickoff to the holiday shopping season in the US, but the big news is now about the week following the kicking. Because comScore reports Cyber Week brought in $6 billion in online sales, and three $1 billion plus shopping days. Cyber Monday (November 28), Tuesday (November 29) and Wednesday (November 30) all brought in more than $1 billion in online sales.
"As the deals from this week expire, it will be important to see the degree to which consumers return to the same retailers to continue their holiday shopping, thereby helping improve retailers' profit margins, or if we experience a pullback in consumer spending - which has occurred in previous years - before promotional offers and spending intensity pick back up in earnest around mid-December," said Gian Fulgoni, comScore Chairman.
Here's how it all breaks down for holiday traffic according to Monetate:
• 2010: 95% traffic increase to websites, 3% increase in mobile traffic and 1% increase in tablet traffic
• 2011: 87% traffic increase to websites, 7.3% increase in mobile, 4.68% increase in tablet traffic
• Conversion rates increased by 5% (desktop), 2% (mobile) and 4% (tablet)
• Add-to-Cart rates increased 11% (desktop), 5.89% (mobile) and 10% (tablet)
Responsys believes much of the increase in traffic and conversions is due to a spike in email messages.
"Over the five day holiday weekend, promotional email volume sent by major retailers was up 27% year over year, with Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday and Cyber Monday all seeing record email volumes," said Chad White, Research Director, Responsys. "Retailers are making email marketing central to their cross-channel marketing efforts this holiday season like never before, and the record online sales results speak for themselves."
Cyber Monday, according to Responsys, saw a year over year email increase of 77%, with 87% of retailers sending marketing messages for the day's sales. More than 80% of retailers also sent Black Friday email messages and 75% sent marketing messages on Thanksgiving day.
Meanwhile Buddy Media research shows the most engaging word for marketers to use in the social space was 'coupon'. They're reporting that engagement rates for branded social messages containing 'coupon' as twice as engaging for consumers; other hot keywords in the social space are 'deal', 'sale', and 'offer'. Researchers also found postings about Black Friday were likely to happen on the day prior to the event while Cyber Monday posts were most likely to happen on the date.
- Experiences - not amenities - create most social media chatter about hotels
- Younger consumers will share personal data in exchange for more accurate search results
- Forecast: App store spend to increase 33%
- Report shows Southwest winning digital airline wars
- Expert: Why unsubscribes aren't necessarily bad
- Study: Most want loyalty to be mobile
- Expert: Data key to video strategy
- Study: Half of loyalty club members want retail redemption options
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...