News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
It's a social, social, social world
People may be spending more and more time in online worlds, but that doesn't mean they are avoiding people. Instead, data from comScore finds consumers are becoming more social - because they're keeping up to date with friends, family and business associates through online social networks.
According to comScore social networking takes up one of every five online minutes (global, October 2011) with 82% of the global population having a social networking profile. Half of that audience is engaging through Facebook, but microblogging - sites like Tumblr, Twitter and others - are gaining in attention from consumers and brands alike.
Many of those social consumers are engaging through mobile (64%) as well as through PC/laptop. comScore saw two in five smartphone users connecting to their social networks through mobile devices in October 2011.
"The emergence and widespread global adoption of social networks has vastly influenced human interaction on an individual, community and larger societal level, and underscores the convergence of the online and offline worlds," said Linda Boland Abraham, comScore CMO and EVP of global development. "Regardless of geography, social networks are weaving themselves ever more intricately into the fabric of the digital experience, opening a world of new opportunity for business and technology."
Meanwhile, data from The CMO Council finds consumers want something specific from social brands - exclusives. Their research indicates more than half (55%) of social consumers are looking for product information when engaging (liking, friending, etc.) brands on their favorite social networks, but 65% are looking for promotions, contests or to find exclusive savings (67%).
On the downside, too many marketers aren't giving these shoppers what they want. The CMO Council reports only 22% respond to 'likes' with special deals.
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
- Bazaarvoice points the way to authentic reviews
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...