News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
It's a social, social, social world
People may be spending more and more time in online worlds, but that doesn't mean they are avoiding people. Instead, data from comScore finds consumers are becoming more social - because they're keeping up to date with friends, family and business associates through online social networks.
According to comScore social networking takes up one of every five online minutes (global, October 2011) with 82% of the global population having a social networking profile. Half of that audience is engaging through Facebook, but microblogging - sites like Tumblr, Twitter and others - are gaining in attention from consumers and brands alike.
Many of those social consumers are engaging through mobile (64%) as well as through PC/laptop. comScore saw two in five smartphone users connecting to their social networks through mobile devices in October 2011.
"The emergence and widespread global adoption of social networks has vastly influenced human interaction on an individual, community and larger societal level, and underscores the convergence of the online and offline worlds," said Linda Boland Abraham, comScore CMO and EVP of global development. "Regardless of geography, social networks are weaving themselves ever more intricately into the fabric of the digital experience, opening a world of new opportunity for business and technology."
Meanwhile, data from The CMO Council finds consumers want something specific from social brands - exclusives. Their research indicates more than half (55%) of social consumers are looking for product information when engaging (liking, friending, etc.) brands on their favorite social networks, but 65% are looking for promotions, contests or to find exclusive savings (67%).
On the downside, too many marketers aren't giving these shoppers what they want. The CMO Council reports only 22% respond to 'likes' with special deals.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...