News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
It's a social, social, social world
People may be spending more and more time in online worlds, but that doesn't mean they are avoiding people. Instead, data from comScore finds consumers are becoming more social - because they're keeping up to date with friends, family and business associates through online social networks.
According to comScore social networking takes up one of every five online minutes (global, October 2011) with 82% of the global population having a social networking profile. Half of that audience is engaging through Facebook, but microblogging - sites like Tumblr, Twitter and others - are gaining in attention from consumers and brands alike.
Many of those social consumers are engaging through mobile (64%) as well as through PC/laptop. comScore saw two in five smartphone users connecting to their social networks through mobile devices in October 2011.
"The emergence and widespread global adoption of social networks has vastly influenced human interaction on an individual, community and larger societal level, and underscores the convergence of the online and offline worlds," said Linda Boland Abraham, comScore CMO and EVP of global development. "Regardless of geography, social networks are weaving themselves ever more intricately into the fabric of the digital experience, opening a world of new opportunity for business and technology."
Meanwhile, data from The CMO Council finds consumers want something specific from social brands - exclusives. Their research indicates more than half (55%) of social consumers are looking for product information when engaging (liking, friending, etc.) brands on their favorite social networks, but 65% are looking for promotions, contests or to find exclusive savings (67%).
On the downside, too many marketers aren't giving these shoppers what they want. The CMO Council reports only 22% respond to 'likes' with special deals.
- How to get past personas and into consumers' interests
- European Commission forces Google, Apple to make users aware of 'true cost' of an app
- Top 3 tips to improve seasonal marketing plans
- Research: Social media users less likely to post positively about their favorite products
- Twitter preps for new generation of commerce experiences
- iBeacon firm offers free hardware and installation to UK retailers
- Swrve: Report reveals one third of apps get only one minute of attention
- Facebook trials 'Buy' button within advertisers' posts and ads
Featured White Papers
- Everything You Need to Know About Social Media for Your Business
While social media practitioners must continue to expect and adapt to change, it is important to take note of the...