News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
How data will impact 2012 for brands, merchants
With connected devices, smartphones and increasingly mobile PCs people are connecting to content, entertainment and social networks more and more. That, of course, is where marketers are trying to connect. In 2012 more of those connections will be made using collected data.
I recently talked with Stuart Colman, with AudienceScience, about trends in the data space.
Kristina: What trends are you seeing in the online space leading up to 2012?
Stuart Colman, Managing Director Europe, Audience Science:
• The recognition of the value of data and its role in driving effectiveness. We are beginning to see increasing moves to bring offline data into the online arena, as this type of data is trusted and has long been the backbone of delivering traditional offline marketing campaigns. This move towards amalgamation is especially evident from the larger brands, who want to use these same audience definitions to deliver their online activity. For them it gives them the confidence they are reaching exactly the same audience on and offline, fostering real multi-channel marketing.
• Regulation will continue to be a primary concern for the industry in 2012. As the industry moves forward with plans for self-regulation, transparency and education will remain a focal point throughout 2012. We will see more and more advertisers and audience targeting organisations using the Enhanced Notice Icon and being open and transparent with what data they use and how they collect the data. Privacy policies will become highly visible on websites and consumers will be given more control over the advertising content they are served.
• The consumer will be central to any online campaign and data will be king. Advertisers will seek to use data more effectively when buying online audiences to ensure greater efficiency, limit campaign wastage and enhance campaign performance
• Multi-channel campaigns. Online advertising is steadily being seen as part of the overall marketing mix, with more and more advertisers looking to use online advertising as part of a more comprehensive multi-channel campaign. We will see a rise in advertisers engaging audiences across different media (including traditional media) but also engaging consumers on different web-enabled devices and through different types of advertising such as display banners, video and search-based context ads.
Kristina: How can brands/businesses use data to better target their messages?
Stuart: Ultimately you need to know who you want to reach, then understand how you can define this audience and reach them in an online environment. This is where real first party data is crucial, as it can be added to this to provide depth and insight.
Having the ability to collect and collate this data is critical and then from it, build meaningful, relevant audiences. Today this often means using a Data Management Platform (DMP) to allow you to take control and drive your targeting.
A DMP allows you to accurately define your audience based on the relevant data for that specific campaign. This transparency ensures confidence the audience you want to reach is the audience you are targeting.
Tomorrow, more from Colman, including his thoughts about the use of modeled data to engage consumers.
- Elance: Remote hiring sees 60% jump
- Engajer integrates to LinkedIn
- JiWire: Mobile engaging travel consumers
- Drama, inane ramblings and parents turn teens off Facebook
- Survey: UK consumers re-think loyalty to brands
- PPA: Digital magazines boost demand for print editions
- Tapjoy: Ad engagements preferred by mobiles
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...