News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Holiday season pulls in $32b - so far
comScore reports ecommerce sales are up about 15% so far this year, with shoppers spending $32 billion. That number may grow only slightly as there are now three shopping days until Christmas; shopping past December 23 puts items in danger of not arriving for the holiday even with expedited shipping.
"With only a few more days until Christmas, the preponderance of Americans' late season holiday shopping will shift to brick-and-mortar retail, although the procrastinators among us will still be able to take advantage of expedited shipping and buy online up to and including the day before Christmas Eve with the guarantee of having their gifts delivered in time for the holiday," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "In total, we will see another $5 or $6 billion in e-commerce spending over the remainder of December to finish off what has clearly been an outstanding season for online retailers."
The five biggest shopping days: Cyber Monday ($1.2 billion), December 5 ($1.178 billion), Green Monday ($1.13 billion), Tuesday, November 29 ($1.116 billion) and Tuesday December 6 ($1.107 billion). Free Shipping Day ($1.072 billion) and Thanksgiving Weekend ($1.031 billion) also saw strong sales. In all ten days have reached the $1 billion threshold during the 2011 holidays.
Meanwhile Responsys reports email activity has pushed higher over the past week as merchant try to push sales. On average retailers sent subscribers 5.6 email messages, a 26% year over year increase. Green Monday saw 73% of retailers email client lists; only about 10% of retail mailings mentioned Free Shipping Friday, however.
- Colors effect sharing behavior on Pinterest
- Survey highlights importance of returns process to consumer loyalty
- 45% of marketers to invest in events during 2015
- Barclays Bank launches Twitter payments
- Advertising for young children looks promising on a new YouTube app for kids
- Twitter responses to customer queries slow and sloppy
- App channel worth over £4 billion to UK brands
- Facebook: 2 million advertisers milestone and new mobile ad manager
Featured White Papers
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- How to Promote and Measure Hashtag Campaigns
A single hashtag can connect your brand messaging across each of the major social networks. Learn how hashtags can be...