News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Holiday season pulls in $32b - so far
comScore reports ecommerce sales are up about 15% so far this year, with shoppers spending $32 billion. That number may grow only slightly as there are now three shopping days until Christmas; shopping past December 23 puts items in danger of not arriving for the holiday even with expedited shipping.
"With only a few more days until Christmas, the preponderance of Americans' late season holiday shopping will shift to brick-and-mortar retail, although the procrastinators among us will still be able to take advantage of expedited shipping and buy online up to and including the day before Christmas Eve with the guarantee of having their gifts delivered in time for the holiday," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "In total, we will see another $5 or $6 billion in e-commerce spending over the remainder of December to finish off what has clearly been an outstanding season for online retailers."
The five biggest shopping days: Cyber Monday ($1.2 billion), December 5 ($1.178 billion), Green Monday ($1.13 billion), Tuesday, November 29 ($1.116 billion) and Tuesday December 6 ($1.107 billion). Free Shipping Day ($1.072 billion) and Thanksgiving Weekend ($1.031 billion) also saw strong sales. In all ten days have reached the $1 billion threshold during the 2011 holidays.
Meanwhile Responsys reports email activity has pushed higher over the past week as merchant try to push sales. On average retailers sent subscribers 5.6 email messages, a 26% year over year increase. Green Monday saw 73% of retailers email client lists; only about 10% of retail mailings mentioned Free Shipping Friday, however.
- What Twitter's roll-out of Periscope ads means for digital brands
- Ad Roundup: Tools to connect shoppers
- Top 3 tips for B2B brands to harness purchasing power
- Channel 4 video-on-demand ads address viewer by name
- IAB: 2016 Internet ad spend breaks records
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...