News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Holiday season pulls in $32b - so far
comScore reports ecommerce sales are up about 15% so far this year, with shoppers spending $32 billion. That number may grow only slightly as there are now three shopping days until Christmas; shopping past December 23 puts items in danger of not arriving for the holiday even with expedited shipping.
"With only a few more days until Christmas, the preponderance of Americans' late season holiday shopping will shift to brick-and-mortar retail, although the procrastinators among us will still be able to take advantage of expedited shipping and buy online up to and including the day before Christmas Eve with the guarantee of having their gifts delivered in time for the holiday," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "In total, we will see another $5 or $6 billion in e-commerce spending over the remainder of December to finish off what has clearly been an outstanding season for online retailers."
The five biggest shopping days: Cyber Monday ($1.2 billion), December 5 ($1.178 billion), Green Monday ($1.13 billion), Tuesday, November 29 ($1.116 billion) and Tuesday December 6 ($1.107 billion). Free Shipping Day ($1.072 billion) and Thanksgiving Weekend ($1.031 billion) also saw strong sales. In all ten days have reached the $1 billion threshold during the 2011 holidays.
Meanwhile Responsys reports email activity has pushed higher over the past week as merchant try to push sales. On average retailers sent subscribers 5.6 email messages, a 26% year over year increase. Green Monday saw 73% of retailers email client lists; only about 10% of retail mailings mentioned Free Shipping Friday, however.
- How to use your CTA to drive email conversions
- Expert: How to improve personalization strategy
- How to use payments as a marketing tool
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and a new release
- Top 3 tips to use a loyalty program to build engagement
- Fewer people report suffering with information overload than a decade ago
- Third of businesses globally under-prepared for digital transformation
- Expert: Tipping point for personalization is near
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...