News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Holiday season pulls in $32b - so far
comScore reports ecommerce sales are up about 15% so far this year, with shoppers spending $32 billion. That number may grow only slightly as there are now three shopping days until Christmas; shopping past December 23 puts items in danger of not arriving for the holiday even with expedited shipping.
"With only a few more days until Christmas, the preponderance of Americans' late season holiday shopping will shift to brick-and-mortar retail, although the procrastinators among us will still be able to take advantage of expedited shipping and buy online up to and including the day before Christmas Eve with the guarantee of having their gifts delivered in time for the holiday," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "In total, we will see another $5 or $6 billion in e-commerce spending over the remainder of December to finish off what has clearly been an outstanding season for online retailers."
The five biggest shopping days: Cyber Monday ($1.2 billion), December 5 ($1.178 billion), Green Monday ($1.13 billion), Tuesday, November 29 ($1.116 billion) and Tuesday December 6 ($1.107 billion). Free Shipping Day ($1.072 billion) and Thanksgiving Weekend ($1.031 billion) also saw strong sales. In all ten days have reached the $1 billion threshold during the 2011 holidays.
Meanwhile Responsys reports email activity has pushed higher over the past week as merchant try to push sales. On average retailers sent subscribers 5.6 email messages, a 26% year over year increase. Green Monday saw 73% of retailers email client lists; only about 10% of retail mailings mentioned Free Shipping Friday, however.
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
- Study: Mobiles don't want to be interrupted
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...