News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Holiday season pulls in $32b - so far
comScore reports ecommerce sales are up about 15% so far this year, with shoppers spending $32 billion. That number may grow only slightly as there are now three shopping days until Christmas; shopping past December 23 puts items in danger of not arriving for the holiday even with expedited shipping.
"With only a few more days until Christmas, the preponderance of Americans' late season holiday shopping will shift to brick-and-mortar retail, although the procrastinators among us will still be able to take advantage of expedited shipping and buy online up to and including the day before Christmas Eve with the guarantee of having their gifts delivered in time for the holiday," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "In total, we will see another $5 or $6 billion in e-commerce spending over the remainder of December to finish off what has clearly been an outstanding season for online retailers."
The five biggest shopping days: Cyber Monday ($1.2 billion), December 5 ($1.178 billion), Green Monday ($1.13 billion), Tuesday, November 29 ($1.116 billion) and Tuesday December 6 ($1.107 billion). Free Shipping Day ($1.072 billion) and Thanksgiving Weekend ($1.031 billion) also saw strong sales. In all ten days have reached the $1 billion threshold during the 2011 holidays.
Meanwhile Responsys reports email activity has pushed higher over the past week as merchant try to push sales. On average retailers sent subscribers 5.6 email messages, a 26% year over year increase. Green Monday saw 73% of retailers email client lists; only about 10% of retail mailings mentioned Free Shipping Friday, however.
- Top 3 tips to improve employee productivity
- Retailers: Why you need live online assistance for the 2014 holidays
- Top 3 tips to create better transactional email messages
- Facebook enables ad targeting by connection speed
- UK: Lousy public holiday weather drives take-out food search surge
- Release makes push notifications actionable
- Early results show skipping ads improves engagement
- Top 3 tips to better personalize online campaigns
Featured White Papers
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...
- Ready, Set, Send: Marketing Automation and the Customer Lifecycle
Much like running a marathon, building a successful marketing program takes dedication, patience, training and a lot of stamina. These...