News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Free Shipping Day extends online holiday buying season
Free shipping has become such a draw for online shoppers that, since 2007, an entire day has been devoted to it. This year 2,000 retailers are offering free deliveries guaranteed to arrive in time for Christmas via Free Shipping Day. Meanwhile new comScore data shows free shipping to be one of the most important incentives an online retailer can offer.
According to comScore last year's Free Shipping Day was the third heaviest online spending day of the year at $942 million, a 61% increase from 2009.
It's little wonder, then, that this year's Free Shipping Day, being held on December 16, boasts over 2,000 retailers offering free delivery - 250 more than last year. Sears, Radio Shack, Aeropostale, Puma, Vans and Barnes and Noble along with many well-known brands are all onboard to try to extend the online shopping season.
According to the Free Shipping Day website, "In 2010, Free Shipping Day blew past its 35-year-old sibling by nearly $300 million in online sales. Not only did it shake up the holiday monarchy - it earned a place in the record books while doing so."
Figures released yesterday (4 Dec) by comScore show that consumers have come to expect free shipping during holiday promotion periods and that it is one of the most important incentives an online merchant can offer.
'"More than three-quarters of consumers say that free shipping is important to them when making an online purchase," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni, "and nearly half say they will abandon their shopping cart at checkout if they find free shipping is not being offered."
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Gigya: Facebook winning for logins
- Community Q&A: Do you need it? And how to use it
- Study: SMBs bride personal achievement over money
- DMA (UK) poll reveals most 'marketing friendly' social network
- LinkedIn: 300 million connected, 3 billion to go
- Kenshoo: Paid search continues double-digit yearly growth
Featured White Papers
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...