News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Content consumption on the up via mobile
Using mobiles to continue or sustain in-market presence is becoming a bigger piece of the mobile pie according to new data from Millennial Media. Their research shows a growing number of mobile advertisers are using their platform to sustain or grow their market presence, in addition to pushing product launches and offering information about products or services.
According to Millennial Media's October SMART Report:
• 29% of mobile campaigns directed mobiles to download apps, a 33% increase month-to-month
• 23% of mobile campaigns offered 'Store Locator' options
• 42% of mobile ads in the entertainment vertical dealt with movie releases
• Entertainment brands identified product launch/release as a top goal for the month
• Half of mobile ads from entertainment campaigns offered video content
• 23% offered mCommerce
As for what mobile consumers are doing with their devices, data from ReturnPath indicates email viewing via iPad has increased 73% with mobile email opens increasing 34%. Mobile email views spike over the weekends, when most people are home or running errands rather than sitting at a desk.
"Email is more relevant today than ever before as consumption continues to grow on more platforms," said Matt Blumberg, CEO and Chairman, Return Path. "Email is everywhere you want your message to be. And while benchmark studies provide marketers with a view into shifting trends, they are no substitute for having real time, specific data on subscribers. Marketers need to gather campaign data specific to their audience, figure out where their subscribers are viewing email and design a relevant and timely sending strategy."
Mobile shopping is also increasing, according to comScore. Their data shows about 40% of US smartphone users shopped via mobile in September; these shoppers purchases apparel, digital content (Music, eBooks, movies, etc) and also shopped for daily deals.
"Mobile is becoming a central part in the shopping funnel for many consumers," said Mark Donovan, comScore senior vice president for mobile. "In September we saw two-thirds of all smartphone owners perform shopping activities on their phones, including comparing products and prices, searching for coupons, taking product pictures or locating a retail store. Considering there are currently 90 million smartphone owners in the U.S., retailers without a well-developed mobile strategy are not only missing a tremendous opportunity with these customers but also risk becoming obsolete in the minds of these digital omnivores."
Texting remains the biggest mobile activity with nearly 72% of mobiles using this option; meanwhile over 40% are using mobile browsers or downloaded apps and 32% are accessing social networks.
- Study: Most believe personalization key to success
- Report: Most Amazon sellers looking for new marketplaces
- Study: Finance, saving important to Millenials
- Survey: More consumers want to be paperless
- Survey IDS when customers will share personal data
- Bing: Voice searches for hotels up 343% YoY
- Top 5 tips to take business paperless
- Snap Ads spend rises 593% QoQ
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...