News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social media to play pivotal role in 2012 Presidential Elections
Social media is the 'must-have' media tool of the 21st century, according to a new survey by brand agency Digitas, with almost two-thirds of adults expecting candidates to have a social media presence.
Listen up 2012 candidates. According to Digitas 82% of US adults use social media, and 88% of those are registered voters.
Furthermore, almost two-thirds (61%) expect candidates to have a presence on social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook.
Such is the power and reach of social media that Digitas expects that, just as JFK was considered the first television President, 2012's winner could sway their victory via social media.
"In at least the last two election cycles, digital media has taken a profound a role in determining our next president as TV did in earlier generations," said Jordan Bitterman, SVP and Social Marketing Practice Director, Digitas. "But the results of this new research show that the extraordinary power of social networks to connect us and build relationships may have even greater impact on who wins in 2012."
Other key findings for candidates to consider include:
- Over half (51%) of young social media users (18-34) will search social media for information on who to vote for compared with 38% of 35-44 year olds, 29% of 45-54 year olds and 23% of those aged 55 and over.
- The vast majority (86%) of social media users own a mobile device as do 88% of social media users who are registered voters.
- 38% said that social media will have the same influence on their vote as would traditional media such as television and radio.
- Air passengers demand constant connectivity and fast in-flight Wi-Fi
- Power Users + Loyal Users = App Stickiness
- Shareaholic: Quarter of website traffic driven by Facebook
- B2B firms struggling with content marketing
- Brands piggy-backing on major events not guaranteed success
- Expert: Why SMBs are pushing farther into digital
- Top 3 challenges facing retailers and how to solve them
- How to get past personas and into consumers' interests
Featured White Papers
- Everything You Need to Know About Social Media for Your Business
While social media practitioners must continue to expect and adapt to change, it is important to take note of the...