News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social media to play pivotal role in 2012 Presidential Elections
Social media is the 'must-have' media tool of the 21st century, according to a new survey by brand agency Digitas, with almost two-thirds of adults expecting candidates to have a social media presence.
Listen up 2012 candidates. According to Digitas 82% of US adults use social media, and 88% of those are registered voters.
Furthermore, almost two-thirds (61%) expect candidates to have a presence on social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook.
Such is the power and reach of social media that Digitas expects that, just as JFK was considered the first television President, 2012's winner could sway their victory via social media.
"In at least the last two election cycles, digital media has taken a profound a role in determining our next president as TV did in earlier generations," said Jordan Bitterman, SVP and Social Marketing Practice Director, Digitas. "But the results of this new research show that the extraordinary power of social networks to connect us and build relationships may have even greater impact on who wins in 2012."
Other key findings for candidates to consider include:
- Over half (51%) of young social media users (18-34) will search social media for information on who to vote for compared with 38% of 35-44 year olds, 29% of 45-54 year olds and 23% of those aged 55 and over.
- The vast majority (86%) of social media users own a mobile device as do 88% of social media users who are registered voters.
- 38% said that social media will have the same influence on their vote as would traditional media such as television and radio.
- Netflix dominates U.S. peak Internet traffic
- Omni-channel shopping putting pressure on stores to raise shopper engagement
- Big spending forecast for UK Black Friday
- Do you know why online shoppers abandon carts?
- Travel study reveals extent of travelers' frustration with poorly performing apps, websites
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...