News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Black Friday hot, Cyber Monday not?
The total online spend for Cyber Monday is out - and it's big. Billion dollar big, which many expected thanks to the strong ecommerce showing on Black Friday. But, whatever the spending total for online shoppers, one company finds Cyber Monday's days may be numbered.
Still, people shopped on both days. The top items shopped for Cyber Monday, according to eXelate, were Car/GPS (260% increase), Televisions (224% increase), Laptops (224% increase) and Movies (239% increase). The search for and purchase of eReaders increased 423%. comScore reports the Cyber Monday online spend hit $1.25 billion, making it the hottest online shopping day ever; Cyber Monday is now the second shopping day to top $1 billion in online spending. To date, the 2011 holidays have pulled in $15 billion for online merchants.
Data from eXelate notes that, throughout 2011, ecommerce has been stronger on Mondays than of Fridays, so it stands to reason that Cyber Monday would show as stronger than Black Friday. In fact, their data shows a 17% increase from Black Friday to Cyber Monday. But, taken in comparison to the rest of the year, the increases in online sales on Black Friday are more significant find their experts.
Meanwhile, from both shopping days, a warning. Compuware Gomez reports a 10% dip in customer satisfaction ratings (compared to October baselines) for the to 50 US retailer websites over the Thanksgiving weekend; much of that is likely from heavy traffic which slowed website performance.
Why is this an issue? Research from Forrester finds shoppers will click away from a website if they have to wait more than 3 seconds for a page to load, so it is important for sites to function well - especially during high shopping days. And there will likely be many more before the 2011 holidays have past.
- Reports: Strong start to holiday season
- Expert: What will drive mobile in 2016
- More than half of consumers would pay for better customer care from preferred brands
- UK mobile email open rates at highest ever but conversions in decline
- More than three-quarters of all Black Friday mobile orders made on an Apple device
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...