News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Black Friday hot, Cyber Monday not?
The total online spend for Cyber Monday is out - and it's big. Billion dollar big, which many expected thanks to the strong ecommerce showing on Black Friday. But, whatever the spending total for online shoppers, one company finds Cyber Monday's days may be numbered.
Still, people shopped on both days. The top items shopped for Cyber Monday, according to eXelate, were Car/GPS (260% increase), Televisions (224% increase), Laptops (224% increase) and Movies (239% increase). The search for and purchase of eReaders increased 423%. comScore reports the Cyber Monday online spend hit $1.25 billion, making it the hottest online shopping day ever; Cyber Monday is now the second shopping day to top $1 billion in online spending. To date, the 2011 holidays have pulled in $15 billion for online merchants.
Data from eXelate notes that, throughout 2011, ecommerce has been stronger on Mondays than of Fridays, so it stands to reason that Cyber Monday would show as stronger than Black Friday. In fact, their data shows a 17% increase from Black Friday to Cyber Monday. But, taken in comparison to the rest of the year, the increases in online sales on Black Friday are more significant find their experts.
Meanwhile, from both shopping days, a warning. Compuware Gomez reports a 10% dip in customer satisfaction ratings (compared to October baselines) for the to 50 US retailer websites over the Thanksgiving weekend; much of that is likely from heavy traffic which slowed website performance.
Why is this an issue? Research from Forrester finds shoppers will click away from a website if they have to wait more than 3 seconds for a page to load, so it is important for sites to function well - especially during high shopping days. And there will likely be many more before the 2011 holidays have past.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...