News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Black Friday hot, Cyber Monday not?
The total online spend for Cyber Monday is out - and it's big. Billion dollar big, which many expected thanks to the strong ecommerce showing on Black Friday. But, whatever the spending total for online shoppers, one company finds Cyber Monday's days may be numbered.
Still, people shopped on both days. The top items shopped for Cyber Monday, according to eXelate, were Car/GPS (260% increase), Televisions (224% increase), Laptops (224% increase) and Movies (239% increase). The search for and purchase of eReaders increased 423%. comScore reports the Cyber Monday online spend hit $1.25 billion, making it the hottest online shopping day ever; Cyber Monday is now the second shopping day to top $1 billion in online spending. To date, the 2011 holidays have pulled in $15 billion for online merchants.
Data from eXelate notes that, throughout 2011, ecommerce has been stronger on Mondays than of Fridays, so it stands to reason that Cyber Monday would show as stronger than Black Friday. In fact, their data shows a 17% increase from Black Friday to Cyber Monday. But, taken in comparison to the rest of the year, the increases in online sales on Black Friday are more significant find their experts.
Meanwhile, from both shopping days, a warning. Compuware Gomez reports a 10% dip in customer satisfaction ratings (compared to October baselines) for the to 50 US retailer websites over the Thanksgiving weekend; much of that is likely from heavy traffic which slowed website performance.
Why is this an issue? Research from Forrester finds shoppers will click away from a website if they have to wait more than 3 seconds for a page to load, so it is important for sites to function well - especially during high shopping days. And there will likely be many more before the 2011 holidays have past.
- Location accuracy analysis reveals improvement for mobile ad campaigns
- Research reveals Millennials' attitudes toward brands
- Survey: Online, offline shopping experiences 'merging'
- Message Systems flips email to up engagement
- Marketers beware - research your target market or risk stereotyping
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...