News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Black Friday hot, Cyber Monday not?
The total online spend for Cyber Monday is out - and it's big. Billion dollar big, which many expected thanks to the strong ecommerce showing on Black Friday. But, whatever the spending total for online shoppers, one company finds Cyber Monday's days may be numbered.
Still, people shopped on both days. The top items shopped for Cyber Monday, according to eXelate, were Car/GPS (260% increase), Televisions (224% increase), Laptops (224% increase) and Movies (239% increase). The search for and purchase of eReaders increased 423%. comScore reports the Cyber Monday online spend hit $1.25 billion, making it the hottest online shopping day ever; Cyber Monday is now the second shopping day to top $1 billion in online spending. To date, the 2011 holidays have pulled in $15 billion for online merchants.
Data from eXelate notes that, throughout 2011, ecommerce has been stronger on Mondays than of Fridays, so it stands to reason that Cyber Monday would show as stronger than Black Friday. In fact, their data shows a 17% increase from Black Friday to Cyber Monday. But, taken in comparison to the rest of the year, the increases in online sales on Black Friday are more significant find their experts.
Meanwhile, from both shopping days, a warning. Compuware Gomez reports a 10% dip in customer satisfaction ratings (compared to October baselines) for the to 50 US retailer websites over the Thanksgiving weekend; much of that is likely from heavy traffic which slowed website performance.
Why is this an issue? Research from Forrester finds shoppers will click away from a website if they have to wait more than 3 seconds for a page to load, so it is important for sites to function well - especially during high shopping days. And there will likely be many more before the 2011 holidays have past.
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
- Kinetic email boosts unique click and click-to-open rates
- Study: GenX, Y most likely to BOPIS
- Experts: Why points aren't enough for loyalty
- How to win the Amazon Buy Box
- More brands building relationships with bloggers
- Consumers prefer human touch for insurance buying, claims
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...