News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Brands pushing more into social media
2011 may be best remembered as the year brands embraced social marketing. Of course, the year isn't over yet but new research finds most brands utilizing the Facebook, Twitter and YouTube platforms to engage an increasingly social consumer base.
What is perhaps most surprising about the findings is that brands aren't noting large sales through social media, but they are building buzz about products, increasing brand recognition and obtaining more insight into consumers.
Which platforms are most used? Brand respondents report Facebook (94%), Twitter (77%) and YouTube (42%) as their top social media priorities.
• 81% of brands want to measure social brand advocacy
• 90% believe social metrics should be adapted campaign to campaign
• 89% use social media because of its interactivity
• 96% use social media for advertising/promotions
• 88% say 'public relations' are where they see the most benefit from social media
What does social media offer that other ad options don't? The ability to not only track campaign metrics - clicks, opens, etc. - while also monitoring brand engagement through social sharing features. Yes, all types of advertising can be measured but it is harder with display, rich media or video ad formats to determine if the consumer was engaged with the message or simply going through the motions. Added to that, brands can 'listen' to what consumers are saying, both positive and negative, about a product or campaign and make adjustments as needed.
The key, of course, is to tailor social media according to the campaign - the launch of a new product in May, for example, should be approached in a different manner than the launch of a product over the holiday season.
- Ad Roundup: Retail, ad solutions launched
- Expert IDs drivers for mobile video
- Expert: How to keep employees motivated
- Brands use content marketing primarily for brand awareness
- Salecycle research reveals the perfect abandoned cart email
- Retailers lost 19% of Christmas customers to rivals
- Hope for homeless asking for cash in cashless society
- B2B organizations struggle to provide streamlined, frictionless commerce experiences
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...