News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Brands pushing more into social media
2011 may be best remembered as the year brands embraced social marketing. Of course, the year isn't over yet but new research finds most brands utilizing the Facebook, Twitter and YouTube platforms to engage an increasingly social consumer base.
What is perhaps most surprising about the findings is that brands aren't noting large sales through social media, but they are building buzz about products, increasing brand recognition and obtaining more insight into consumers.
Which platforms are most used? Brand respondents report Facebook (94%), Twitter (77%) and YouTube (42%) as their top social media priorities.
• 81% of brands want to measure social brand advocacy
• 90% believe social metrics should be adapted campaign to campaign
• 89% use social media because of its interactivity
• 96% use social media for advertising/promotions
• 88% say 'public relations' are where they see the most benefit from social media
What does social media offer that other ad options don't? The ability to not only track campaign metrics - clicks, opens, etc. - while also monitoring brand engagement through social sharing features. Yes, all types of advertising can be measured but it is harder with display, rich media or video ad formats to determine if the consumer was engaged with the message or simply going through the motions. Added to that, brands can 'listen' to what consumers are saying, both positive and negative, about a product or campaign and make adjustments as needed.
The key, of course, is to tailor social media according to the campaign - the launch of a new product in May, for example, should be approached in a different manner than the launch of a product over the holiday season.
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...