News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Privacy Concerns: Marketers should "think like a bank"
Marketers that want to lessen concern among consumers regarding privacy should think like a bank, according to new research from McCann Truth Central.
Consumers remain anxious about how their personal data is used but a recent study by McCann Worldwide's McCann Truth Central found that it's a complex issue.
Consumers have varying levels of concern depending on the type of personal information they share, e.g. personal, medical, financial, shopping. As might be expected, information regarding health and finances is cautiously shared while data related to shopping activity is less guarded.
According to McCann's study 71% of consumers are willing to trade shopping data, but most want to be compensated for it. In fact, 86% of consumers said they see major benefits resulting from sharing data with businesses online and almost a third (65%) said a major benefit was access to promotions and discounts.
However, access to their data comes with a few expectations. Over half (55%) of consumers want a commitment from businesses that data they share won't be passed on to third parties and 51% want to know how their data will be used.
Control is important too. Half (49%) want to have a say in which data is shared and how.
Laura Simpson, Global Director of McCann Truth Central, said marketers should take heed of how financial institutions and credit card companies approach privacy. These businesses are the two most trusted of all categories due to their history of handling sensitive personal data.
"Our advice for marketers? Think like a bank," said Simpson.
- Drama, inane ramblings and parents turn teens off Facebook
- Survey: UK consumers re-think loyalty to brands
- PPA: Digital magazines boost demand for print editions
- Tapjoy: Ad engagements preferred by mobiles
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...