News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
NRF forecasts YoY fall in holiday season retail sales
The National Retail Federation has released its retail sales forecast for the coming holiday season. It shows that while growth won't hit the heady heights of last year it will exceed the 10 year average.
Holiday sales this year will rise 2.8% to $465.6 billion, according to the NRF's latest figures released this week. The forecast is lower than the 5.2% increase retailers experienced last year but higher than the 10 year average of 2.6%.
While several economic factors point to a healthy holiday season for retailers, cautious consumers still have one eye on unemployment figures, rising household costs and a shaky stock market.
"Just when you think the U.S. economy is turning around, another factor comes into play that changes the game," said NRF chief economist Jack Kleinhenz, Ph.D.
Matt Shay, president and CEO of NRF, said 2011 will be a holiday season led by promotions and discounts. He told Direct Marketing News that consumers will be "moving aggressively to use mobile technology and data to focus on the best opportunity."
- Webrooming parents heading to physical stores for back-to-school purchases
- 43% of all traffic to travel websites now comes from mobile
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
- How to measure engagement to reach a deeper customer relationship
- Survey: Amazon influencing back to school shoppers
- Hilton gives guests greater control with significant app upgrade
- Top 3 tips for better channel optimization
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...