News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
NRF forecasts YoY fall in holiday season retail sales
The National Retail Federation has released its retail sales forecast for the coming holiday season. It shows that while growth won't hit the heady heights of last year it will exceed the 10 year average.
Holiday sales this year will rise 2.8% to $465.6 billion, according to the NRF's latest figures released this week. The forecast is lower than the 5.2% increase retailers experienced last year but higher than the 10 year average of 2.6%.
While several economic factors point to a healthy holiday season for retailers, cautious consumers still have one eye on unemployment figures, rising household costs and a shaky stock market.
"Just when you think the U.S. economy is turning around, another factor comes into play that changes the game," said NRF chief economist Jack Kleinhenz, Ph.D.
Matt Shay, president and CEO of NRF, said 2011 will be a holiday season led by promotions and discounts. He told Direct Marketing News that consumers will be "moving aggressively to use mobile technology and data to focus on the best opportunity."
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
- Kinetic email boosts unique click and click-to-open rates
- Study: GenX, Y most likely to BOPIS
- Experts: Why points aren't enough for loyalty
- How to win the Amazon Buy Box
- More brands building relationships with bloggers
- Consumers prefer human touch for insurance buying, claims
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...