News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
NRF forecasts YoY fall in holiday season retail sales
The National Retail Federation has released its retail sales forecast for the coming holiday season. It shows that while growth won't hit the heady heights of last year it will exceed the 10 year average.
Holiday sales this year will rise 2.8% to $465.6 billion, according to the NRF's latest figures released this week. The forecast is lower than the 5.2% increase retailers experienced last year but higher than the 10 year average of 2.6%.
While several economic factors point to a healthy holiday season for retailers, cautious consumers still have one eye on unemployment figures, rising household costs and a shaky stock market.
"Just when you think the U.S. economy is turning around, another factor comes into play that changes the game," said NRF chief economist Jack Kleinhenz, Ph.D.
Matt Shay, president and CEO of NRF, said 2011 will be a holiday season led by promotions and discounts. He told Direct Marketing News that consumers will be "moving aggressively to use mobile technology and data to focus on the best opportunity."
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...