News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Almost half of shoppers to spend less on 2011 holiday gifts
Consumers have been looking for holiday gifts since the start of the year, according to Ipsos Public Affairs and most are planning to spend the same or less than they did last year.
Of the 1,000 US adults surveyed by Ipsos Public Affairs for Offers.com 87% plan to spend the same or less than they did during the 2010 holiday period (45% less / 42% same). Almost half have planned ahead this year and have been looking for bargains since the start of 2011.
Under 20% are hanging out for Black Friday and Cyber Monday promotions.
And, it seems over half won't be taking advantage of savings to be found online. Just 48% intend to look for coupons or coupon codes online. Meanwhile 50% are looking for coupons and savings in magazines and newspapers and 27% have been keeping an eye on online promotions and daily deals since the start of he year.
Where consumers do their holiday gift shopping this year is very dependent on price. Over two-thirds of respondents (69%) would rather purchase a product in-store if prices were the same as online, rising to 73% among 18-34 year olds, and 47% would be swayed to shop online if deals are better than in-store.
"With a majority of U.S. consumers being not likely to look for online coupons or coupon codes when they shop this holiday season, millions of consumers may let savings pass them by," said Steve Schaffer, CEO of Offers.com.
"Online shopping can provide much better value, selection, and convenience than shopping at retail, and online coupons offer extra discounts that can't be found elsewhere."
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
- Programmatic spending skyrockets through Nexage Markeplace
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...