News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Almost half of shoppers to spend less on 2011 holiday gifts
Consumers have been looking for holiday gifts since the start of the year, according to Ipsos Public Affairs and most are planning to spend the same or less than they did last year.
Of the 1,000 US adults surveyed by Ipsos Public Affairs for Offers.com 87% plan to spend the same or less than they did during the 2010 holiday period (45% less / 42% same). Almost half have planned ahead this year and have been looking for bargains since the start of 2011.
Under 20% are hanging out for Black Friday and Cyber Monday promotions.
And, it seems over half won't be taking advantage of savings to be found online. Just 48% intend to look for coupons or coupon codes online. Meanwhile 50% are looking for coupons and savings in magazines and newspapers and 27% have been keeping an eye on online promotions and daily deals since the start of he year.
Where consumers do their holiday gift shopping this year is very dependent on price. Over two-thirds of respondents (69%) would rather purchase a product in-store if prices were the same as online, rising to 73% among 18-34 year olds, and 47% would be swayed to shop online if deals are better than in-store.
"With a majority of U.S. consumers being not likely to look for online coupons or coupon codes when they shop this holiday season, millions of consumers may let savings pass them by," said Steve Schaffer, CEO of Offers.com.
"Online shopping can provide much better value, selection, and convenience than shopping at retail, and online coupons offer extra discounts that can't be found elsewhere."
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...