News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Almost half of shoppers to spend less on 2011 holiday gifts
Consumers have been looking for holiday gifts since the start of the year, according to Ipsos Public Affairs and most are planning to spend the same or less than they did last year.
Of the 1,000 US adults surveyed by Ipsos Public Affairs for Offers.com 87% plan to spend the same or less than they did during the 2010 holiday period (45% less / 42% same). Almost half have planned ahead this year and have been looking for bargains since the start of 2011.
Under 20% are hanging out for Black Friday and Cyber Monday promotions.
And, it seems over half won't be taking advantage of savings to be found online. Just 48% intend to look for coupons or coupon codes online. Meanwhile 50% are looking for coupons and savings in magazines and newspapers and 27% have been keeping an eye on online promotions and daily deals since the start of he year.
Where consumers do their holiday gift shopping this year is very dependent on price. Over two-thirds of respondents (69%) would rather purchase a product in-store if prices were the same as online, rising to 73% among 18-34 year olds, and 47% would be swayed to shop online if deals are better than in-store.
"With a majority of U.S. consumers being not likely to look for online coupons or coupon codes when they shop this holiday season, millions of consumers may let savings pass them by," said Steve Schaffer, CEO of Offers.com.
"Online shopping can provide much better value, selection, and convenience than shopping at retail, and online coupons offer extra discounts that can't be found elsewhere."
- Release makes push notifications actionable
- Early results show skipping ads improves engagement
- Top 3 tips to better personalize online campaigns
- Pinterest gives businesses a deeper peek into their Pinners
- Parents give retailers advice on making back-to-school shopping more bearable
- Study reveals impact of mobile use on Japanese students' grades
- Poll: SMB owners voting out incumbents
- How to improve worker productivity
Featured White Papers
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...
- Ready, Set, Send: Marketing Automation and the Customer Lifecycle
Much like running a marathon, building a successful marketing program takes dedication, patience, training and a lot of stamina. These...