News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Almost half of shoppers to spend less on 2011 holiday gifts
Consumers have been looking for holiday gifts since the start of the year, according to Ipsos Public Affairs and most are planning to spend the same or less than they did last year.
Of the 1,000 US adults surveyed by Ipsos Public Affairs for Offers.com 87% plan to spend the same or less than they did during the 2010 holiday period (45% less / 42% same). Almost half have planned ahead this year and have been looking for bargains since the start of 2011.
Under 20% are hanging out for Black Friday and Cyber Monday promotions.
And, it seems over half won't be taking advantage of savings to be found online. Just 48% intend to look for coupons or coupon codes online. Meanwhile 50% are looking for coupons and savings in magazines and newspapers and 27% have been keeping an eye on online promotions and daily deals since the start of he year.
Where consumers do their holiday gift shopping this year is very dependent on price. Over two-thirds of respondents (69%) would rather purchase a product in-store if prices were the same as online, rising to 73% among 18-34 year olds, and 47% would be swayed to shop online if deals are better than in-store.
"With a majority of U.S. consumers being not likely to look for online coupons or coupon codes when they shop this holiday season, millions of consumers may let savings pass them by," said Steve Schaffer, CEO of Offers.com.
"Online shopping can provide much better value, selection, and convenience than shopping at retail, and online coupons offer extra discounts that can't be found elsewhere."
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Blueprints for Social Network Success
The Big 6 social networks offer tremendous marketing opportunites--and each one is very different. That's why Spredfast has assembled our...
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock
The way companies use and pay for customer relationship management software has changed significantly over the past decade. Moving from...