News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Wireless hotspot use in UK doubled in last year
New figures released by the UK Office for National Statistics (ONS) show the use of wireless hotspots is rocketing as the number of people accessing the Internet from mobile devices reaches nearly 50%. And, as BT moves to extend its growing network of wireless hotspots around the country, hundreds of pub-goers will soon get a connection with their pint.
According to the ONS's most recent annual report, there are 17.6 million mobile Internet users in the UK in 2011, representing 45% of Internet users in the country, compared to back in 2009 when there were just 8.5 million (23% of all users).
The rate of growth is fastest among the youngest age bracket (16-24), with mobile Internet use jumping from 33% in 2009 to 71% in 2011.
Of the users, six million accessed the Internet over their mobile phone for the first time in the previous 12 months.
Use of wireless hotspots in the UK is also witnessing rapid growth, particularly in the last year. The ONS's figures show that 4.9 million people, or 13% of Internet users in the UK, used wireless hotspots at places such as hotels, malls, restaurants and travel hubs, a seven-fold increase since 2007 estimates and double what is was twelve months ago.
BT now has more than three million wireless hotspots in the UK as part of its country-wide Openzone network. The company also recently announced a deal with beer brand Heineken that will see hotspots placed in 300 or so pubs over the course of the next 18 months.
The growing hotspot usage trend will continue globally, according to new research from In-Stat that predicts the number of connects via this method will total nearly 120 billion by 2015.
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...