News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Wireless hotspot use in UK doubled in last year
New figures released by the UK Office for National Statistics (ONS) show the use of wireless hotspots is rocketing as the number of people accessing the Internet from mobile devices reaches nearly 50%. And, as BT moves to extend its growing network of wireless hotspots around the country, hundreds of pub-goers will soon get a connection with their pint.
According to the ONS's most recent annual report, there are 17.6 million mobile Internet users in the UK in 2011, representing 45% of Internet users in the country, compared to back in 2009 when there were just 8.5 million (23% of all users).
The rate of growth is fastest among the youngest age bracket (16-24), with mobile Internet use jumping from 33% in 2009 to 71% in 2011.
Of the users, six million accessed the Internet over their mobile phone for the first time in the previous 12 months.
Use of wireless hotspots in the UK is also witnessing rapid growth, particularly in the last year. The ONS's figures show that 4.9 million people, or 13% of Internet users in the UK, used wireless hotspots at places such as hotels, malls, restaurants and travel hubs, a seven-fold increase since 2007 estimates and double what is was twelve months ago.
BT now has more than three million wireless hotspots in the UK as part of its country-wide Openzone network. The company also recently announced a deal with beer brand Heineken that will see hotspots placed in 300 or so pubs over the course of the next 18 months.
The growing hotspot usage trend will continue globally, according to new research from In-Stat that predicts the number of connects via this method will total nearly 120 billion by 2015.
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
- The best practices for mobile brands in 2014
- Forecast: Big data to push SMBs into 2014
- Report: TV ads pushing engagement, intent
- Report: Online wide open for CPG brands
- Webrooming, Showrooming pushing shopper engagement
Featured White Papers
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...