News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK Consumers prefer email customer service to telephone
A new survey from Econsultancy reveals high levels of frustration with telephone customer service channels among UK consumers with the preferred method of contact being email.
Hate hanging on the end of a telephone stuck in a queue listening to dodgy musak, or getting lost in an automated voice recognition system? You're not alone.
Nearly half (48%) of the 2,000 UK consumers that participated in Econsultancy's survey said the telephone is the most frustrating customer service channel - 8 times more frustrating than live webchat and 3 times more frustrating than email.
However, over a third (39%) said it was the most effective channel.
The top customer service channel among UK consumers was email with 44% expressing a preference, although it wasn't deemed as effective as the telephone (33%).
Despite the promotion of social media as an ideal customer service channel, and one in 10 respondents having asked a question of a brand via this channel, very few (2%) cited Facebook or Twitter as their preferred channel and only 3.3% said it was the most effective.
Retailers were deemed to offer the best customer service experiences, cited by 47%, way ahead of banks (16%), travel firms (15%), automotive companies (10%), utilities firms (8%) and telecoms companies (4%).
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...