News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: African-Americans biggest virtual goods spenders
By 2012 eMarketer estimates the virtual goods market (US, in social games) will exceed $790 million; some other research indicates the virtual goods marketplace will generate billions for brands in the space. A new report from MocoSpace indicates which demographics are currently the most engaged with virtual goods.
Virtual goods are revenue sources for scads of free-to-play online and social games, including the games within MocoSpace's platform. According to their research Caucasian and African-American demographics are most engaged with virtual goods - at the moment.
The African-American and Hispanic demographics made up the bulk of survey respondents, responsible for 36% and 31% of gamers respectively. Hispanics, however, are responsible for only 21% of virtual goods purchases while African-American players are responsible for 38% of purchases. Causasians, 18% of the respondent base, made 26% of virtual goods purchases during the study dates.
Meanwhile Asian-Americans, Native Americans and Pacific Islanders made up about 4% of the base and for 4% (each) of the purchases.
"Virtual goods have now become such a mainstream business that it makes sense to really start segmenting it. We've started to sort our data by a number of criteria, including ethnicity and gender. Over time, this sort of information will change how mobile game developers and publishers create content and market their titles, something that is already happening in console and online gaming industry," said MocoSpace CEO Justin Siegel.
Virtual goods can represent anything from branded virtual coffee, which can be gifted to other players, to rewards icons which can be purchased and then attached to a gaming profile.
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
- Report: More ad dollars to focus on branded content
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...