News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: One-quarter mobiles using LBS
When it comes to mobile, consumers want instant gratification which is pushing many to use location based services. According to new data from the Pew Internet and American Life Project about one-quarter of American adults (28%) are using mobile or social location based services for everything from directions to local recommendations for restaurants, etc.
That 28% of mobile users equals about 23% of all adults, not a bad percentage especially when paired with the fact that most LBS services point consumers to the nearest local business - the nearest Starbucks, gas station, restaurant or movie theatre.
In addition to getting directions consumers use LBS for:
"Americans are not currently al that eager to share explicitly their location on social media sites, but they are taking advantage of their phones' geolocation capabilities in other ways," said Kathryn Zickuhr, Pew Internet Project research specialist and co-author of the report. "Smartphone owners are using their phones to get fast access to location-relevant information on the go."
Pew researchers surveyed more than 2,000 consumers between April 26 and May 22, 2011 to come to their conclusions.
While one-quarter of consumers isn't a large number, it is an indicator that local businesses and larger stores need to have their information available to local consumers through mobile devices and apps. Having a simple way to find directions or get a recommendation for afternoon coffee or treats will likely lead to more foot traffic from on the go consumers.
- Working 9-5 becoming a thing of the past?
- Accordant Media: 151% increase in global programmatic auction volume
- Reports: Digital will be strong through holiday season
- Expert: How to ready for speech analytics
- Study: CPG to top $10b this year
- Newspapers go digital but readers continue to pick up a print copy
- Expert: How subscriptions are driving retail
- Report: US small businesses pushing international
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...
- Key Tools for Engagement Marketing
Dig into the concept of digital marketing and how to be successful in today's modern, complex business landscape...