News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: One-quarter mobiles using LBS
When it comes to mobile, consumers want instant gratification which is pushing many to use location based services. According to new data from the Pew Internet and American Life Project about one-quarter of American adults (28%) are using mobile or social location based services for everything from directions to local recommendations for restaurants, etc.
That 28% of mobile users equals about 23% of all adults, not a bad percentage especially when paired with the fact that most LBS services point consumers to the nearest local business - the nearest Starbucks, gas station, restaurant or movie theatre.
In addition to getting directions consumers use LBS for:
"Americans are not currently al that eager to share explicitly their location on social media sites, but they are taking advantage of their phones' geolocation capabilities in other ways," said Kathryn Zickuhr, Pew Internet Project research specialist and co-author of the report. "Smartphone owners are using their phones to get fast access to location-relevant information on the go."
Pew researchers surveyed more than 2,000 consumers between April 26 and May 22, 2011 to come to their conclusions.
While one-quarter of consumers isn't a large number, it is an indicator that local businesses and larger stores need to have their information available to local consumers through mobile devices and apps. Having a simple way to find directions or get a recommendation for afternoon coffee or treats will likely lead to more foot traffic from on the go consumers.
- Survey: Online, offline shopping experiences 'merging'
- Message Systems flips email to up engagement
- Marketers beware - research your target market or risk stereotyping
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
- Survey: Consumers want to share product details with friends
- PageFair: Adblocking Goes Mainstream
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...