News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: One-quarter mobiles using LBS
When it comes to mobile, consumers want instant gratification which is pushing many to use location based services. According to new data from the Pew Internet and American Life Project about one-quarter of American adults (28%) are using mobile or social location based services for everything from directions to local recommendations for restaurants, etc.
That 28% of mobile users equals about 23% of all adults, not a bad percentage especially when paired with the fact that most LBS services point consumers to the nearest local business - the nearest Starbucks, gas station, restaurant or movie theatre.
In addition to getting directions consumers use LBS for:
"Americans are not currently al that eager to share explicitly their location on social media sites, but they are taking advantage of their phones' geolocation capabilities in other ways," said Kathryn Zickuhr, Pew Internet Project research specialist and co-author of the report. "Smartphone owners are using their phones to get fast access to location-relevant information on the go."
Pew researchers surveyed more than 2,000 consumers between April 26 and May 22, 2011 to come to their conclusions.
While one-quarter of consumers isn't a large number, it is an indicator that local businesses and larger stores need to have their information available to local consumers through mobile devices and apps. Having a simple way to find directions or get a recommendation for afternoon coffee or treats will likely lead to more foot traffic from on the go consumers.
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
- Adobe: More online TV watched on smartphones than tablets
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...