News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: One-quarter mobiles using LBS
When it comes to mobile, consumers want instant gratification which is pushing many to use location based services. According to new data from the Pew Internet and American Life Project about one-quarter of American adults (28%) are using mobile or social location based services for everything from directions to local recommendations for restaurants, etc.
That 28% of mobile users equals about 23% of all adults, not a bad percentage especially when paired with the fact that most LBS services point consumers to the nearest local business - the nearest Starbucks, gas station, restaurant or movie theatre.
In addition to getting directions consumers use LBS for:
"Americans are not currently al that eager to share explicitly their location on social media sites, but they are taking advantage of their phones' geolocation capabilities in other ways," said Kathryn Zickuhr, Pew Internet Project research specialist and co-author of the report. "Smartphone owners are using their phones to get fast access to location-relevant information on the go."
Pew researchers surveyed more than 2,000 consumers between April 26 and May 22, 2011 to come to their conclusions.
While one-quarter of consumers isn't a large number, it is an indicator that local businesses and larger stores need to have their information available to local consumers through mobile devices and apps. Having a simple way to find directions or get a recommendation for afternoon coffee or treats will likely lead to more foot traffic from on the go consumers.
- Report reveals men's emerging role in household supermarket shopping chore
- How data will impact businesses in 2014
- Report: Social pushing coupon search, use
- Platforms enhance mobile experience
- Few marketers plan for social media negativity
- Report highlights mobile's role in hotel customer experience
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....