News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
IDC: Mobile Internet access to surpass PC by 2015
In the not too distant future more users will access the Internet via a mobile device than via a PC, according to new forecasts released by market research firm IDC.
Within the next four years the number of Internet users around the globe will grow from 2010's figure of 2 billion to reach 2.7 billion, forecasts IDC. In that time the feature phone will fade out and most mobile users will sport a smartphone or tablet, or both.
The continuing adoption of devices that provide mobile Internet access means that, by the year 2015, the use of mobile Internet will surpass usage via a PC. As more people pack the power of a smartphone in their pockets PC use will stagnate while smartphone Internet use will grow at an average 16.6% annually, according to IDC's research.
"Forget what we have taken for granted on how consumers use the Internet," said Karsten Weide, research vice president, Media and Entertainment. "Soon, more users will access the Web using mobile devices than using PCs, and it's going to make the Internet a very different place."
The knock-on effects for business and advertising are obvious. IDC predicts global B2C ecommerce spending will grow from $708 billion in 2010 to $1.285 billion in 2015 at a compound annual growth rate of 12.7%.
Meanwhile, global online advertising will increase from $70 billion in 2010 to $138 billion in 2015, with its share of total advertising across all media growing from 11.9% to 17.8%.
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...