News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
IDC: Mobile Internet access to surpass PC by 2015
In the not too distant future more users will access the Internet via a mobile device than via a PC, according to new forecasts released by market research firm IDC.
Within the next four years the number of Internet users around the globe will grow from 2010's figure of 2 billion to reach 2.7 billion, forecasts IDC. In that time the feature phone will fade out and most mobile users will sport a smartphone or tablet, or both.
The continuing adoption of devices that provide mobile Internet access means that, by the year 2015, the use of mobile Internet will surpass usage via a PC. As more people pack the power of a smartphone in their pockets PC use will stagnate while smartphone Internet use will grow at an average 16.6% annually, according to IDC's research.
"Forget what we have taken for granted on how consumers use the Internet," said Karsten Weide, research vice president, Media and Entertainment. "Soon, more users will access the Web using mobile devices than using PCs, and it's going to make the Internet a very different place."
The knock-on effects for business and advertising are obvious. IDC predicts global B2C ecommerce spending will grow from $708 billion in 2010 to $1.285 billion in 2015 at a compound annual growth rate of 12.7%.
Meanwhile, global online advertising will increase from $70 billion in 2010 to $138 billion in 2015, with its share of total advertising across all media growing from 11.9% to 17.8%.
- Drama, inane ramblings and parents turn teens off Facebook
- Survey: UK consumers re-think loyalty to brands
- PPA: Digital magazines boost demand for print editions
- Tapjoy: Ad engagements preferred by mobiles
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...