News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Gallup takes aim at social media myths
Social media isn't great at driving acquisition, but it is good at providing existing engaged customers with the sort of insider information and recommendations that can lead to increased sales via off- and online word of mouth, according to the findings of a recent Gallup survey.
The Gallup survey of more than 17,000 social media users served to dash a few myths surrounding social media, one of which being that social media marketing drives acquisition and loyalty.
The survey concludes that social media marketing shouldn't focus on acquisition because social media initiatives don't motivate prospects to try a brand or recommend it on to others. Instead social media marketing should focus on persuading existing engaged Fans and Followers to become vocal advocates.
According to an article co-written by Gallup's Jim Asplund (Chief Scientist) and Blaise James (Senior Practice Expert), "Brand-sponsored social media initiatives don't have much influence on a customer's deep rational and emotional attachment, which we call customer engagement. Gallup analysis shows that it works the other way around: Customer engagement with a brand drives social engagement, the degree to which customers will work for or against your company or brand within their social networks."
The article, which first appeared in the company's Management Journal, also tackles the myths that social media is an online-only phenomenon and all social networkers are the same.
- U.S.: 41 billion online videos watched in May
- Accenture: Execs have tech, need talent to make sense of data
- Study: More people working on home To-Dos from work
- Study: Mobile users will wait
- SendGrid launches email service
- IAB UK: Fashion retailers perform best in mobile marketing
- Mobile offers, coupons big draw for Dads
- Cardiff University beats prestigious Oxford in online presence stakes
Featured White Papers
- 8 Key Plays For Sales Success
Pull ahead of your competition by learning best practices for incorporating these new technologies into your daily sales & marketing...
- How to Drive More Traffic Without Increasing Budget
Counterfeiters are adept at mimicking top brands' digital marketing strategies by building pay per click (PPC) campaigns that exploit both...
- Explain What You Do: How a simple explainer video increased online conversion by 20%
In this case study we examine the explainer video for Inbenta, a natural language processing service operating in a highly...
- 7 Reasons To Consider Responsive Design For Your Companys Next Generation Website
In this white paper, learn the 7 reasons to consider responsive design for your company's next generation website. With the...
- Forrester Report: Digital Customer Experience Trends to Watch 2013
Digital touchpoints support an increasingly large percentage of the overall customer experience. 2012 saw the emergence of several important digital...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Beyond Last Touch: Understanding Campaign Effectiveness
Understanding what drives customers to take action is critical to your advertising investments. However, with a flood of available metrics...