News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
ASA dealing with more online complaints than expected
Earlier this year the Advertising Standards Authority in the UK undertook to regulate non-paid-for online marketing. Since that time the organization has received over 5,000 complaints about brand marketing comms, far more than it had expected.
According to a report in Marketing Week, the ASA has received 5,531 complaints about brands' online marketing comms in the seven months since March 2011. Staffing has had to be increased by 10% as a result.
The majority of complaints are made about small and medium sized businesses and these account for 80% of the total number of complaints for the period (18,369). The complaints were of the same ilk as those coming from other media channels namely price and availability.
While the peak in complaints may be keeping the ASA busy, CEO Guy Parker points out that most of the complaints were received straight after the organization took over the monitoring of online activity.
"It is dreamland if people think that all will be immediately compliant," he told Marketing Week. "There is a long tail that don't know yet know about the changes."
Earlier this month the ASA released the findings of its Digital Media Survey 2011 that revealed 95% of websites monitored for the report adhered to the Advertising Code.
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
- YouGov: Mobile commerce confidence grows among consumers
- Study finds the moments ads will most likely garner attention
- Report: SMB owners optimistic about 2014 holidays
- Brands: Why you need to connect social and cross-platform marketing objectives
- 35% of U.S. online shoppers won't browse or buy from Alibaba
- Top 3 tips to create a multi-channel strategy that works
Featured White Papers
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...