News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
ASA dealing with more online complaints than expected
Earlier this year the Advertising Standards Authority in the UK undertook to regulate non-paid-for online marketing. Since that time the organization has received over 5,000 complaints about brand marketing comms, far more than it had expected.
According to a report in Marketing Week, the ASA has received 5,531 complaints about brands' online marketing comms in the seven months since March 2011. Staffing has had to be increased by 10% as a result.
The majority of complaints are made about small and medium sized businesses and these account for 80% of the total number of complaints for the period (18,369). The complaints were of the same ilk as those coming from other media channels namely price and availability.
While the peak in complaints may be keeping the ASA busy, CEO Guy Parker points out that most of the complaints were received straight after the organization took over the monitoring of online activity.
"It is dreamland if people think that all will be immediately compliant," he told Marketing Week. "There is a long tail that don't know yet know about the changes."
Earlier this month the ASA released the findings of its Digital Media Survey 2011 that revealed 95% of websites monitored for the report adhered to the Advertising Code.
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...