News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
ASA dealing with more online complaints than expected
Earlier this year the Advertising Standards Authority in the UK undertook to regulate non-paid-for online marketing. Since that time the organization has received over 5,000 complaints about brand marketing comms, far more than it had expected.
According to a report in Marketing Week, the ASA has received 5,531 complaints about brands' online marketing comms in the seven months since March 2011. Staffing has had to be increased by 10% as a result.
The majority of complaints are made about small and medium sized businesses and these account for 80% of the total number of complaints for the period (18,369). The complaints were of the same ilk as those coming from other media channels namely price and availability.
While the peak in complaints may be keeping the ASA busy, CEO Guy Parker points out that most of the complaints were received straight after the organization took over the monitoring of online activity.
"It is dreamland if people think that all will be immediately compliant," he told Marketing Week. "There is a long tail that don't know yet know about the changes."
Earlier this month the ASA released the findings of its Digital Media Survey 2011 that revealed 95% of websites monitored for the report adhered to the Advertising Code.
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...