News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
ASA dealing with more online complaints than expected
Earlier this year the Advertising Standards Authority in the UK undertook to regulate non-paid-for online marketing. Since that time the organization has received over 5,000 complaints about brand marketing comms, far more than it had expected.
According to a report in Marketing Week, the ASA has received 5,531 complaints about brands' online marketing comms in the seven months since March 2011. Staffing has had to be increased by 10% as a result.
The majority of complaints are made about small and medium sized businesses and these account for 80% of the total number of complaints for the period (18,369). The complaints were of the same ilk as those coming from other media channels namely price and availability.
While the peak in complaints may be keeping the ASA busy, CEO Guy Parker points out that most of the complaints were received straight after the organization took over the monitoring of online activity.
"It is dreamland if people think that all will be immediately compliant," he told Marketing Week. "There is a long tail that don't know yet know about the changes."
Earlier this month the ASA released the findings of its Digital Media Survey 2011 that revealed 95% of websites monitored for the report adhered to the Advertising Code.
- Top 4 tips to reduce holiday fraud
- Expert: How telecoms can do better at customer service
- Survey: Students, parents say localization key to buying
- Corporate Visions release powers insights-based data
- Neurological study pits digital ads against physical ads
- Mobile-friendly hotels appeal to 9 out of 10 U.S. travelers
- Study: Millennials cautious with spending
- Study: Millennials willing to pay for rewards
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...