News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
ASA dealing with more online complaints than expected
Earlier this year the Advertising Standards Authority in the UK undertook to regulate non-paid-for online marketing. Since that time the organization has received over 5,000 complaints about brand marketing comms, far more than it had expected.
According to a report in Marketing Week, the ASA has received 5,531 complaints about brands' online marketing comms in the seven months since March 2011. Staffing has had to be increased by 10% as a result.
The majority of complaints are made about small and medium sized businesses and these account for 80% of the total number of complaints for the period (18,369). The complaints were of the same ilk as those coming from other media channels namely price and availability.
While the peak in complaints may be keeping the ASA busy, CEO Guy Parker points out that most of the complaints were received straight after the organization took over the monitoring of online activity.
"It is dreamland if people think that all will be immediately compliant," he told Marketing Week. "There is a long tail that don't know yet know about the changes."
Earlier this month the ASA released the findings of its Digital Media Survey 2011 that revealed 95% of websites monitored for the report adhered to the Advertising Code.
- Blogs play an important role in the path to purchase
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
- Survey: SMBs drawing a line at Thanksgiving
- Is free enterprise search a game-changer?
- Expert: How mobile is changing customer relationships
Featured White Papers
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....