News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Time to clean up email lists for holiday campaigns
The holiday season is looming and email marketers are vying to be the first to reach the inbox. But marketers that go ahead without cleaning up their email lists could damage both their ROI and reputation.
According to Responsys' "Retail Guide to the Holiday Season 2011" the average retailer began dispatching holiday season emails on October 17 last year, 2 days earlier than in 2009 and 11 days earlier than in 2008.
While developing timely, creative and engaging email campaigns is paramount, there is something else that's just as important but often overlooked in the race to be first- list management.
In preparation for the dispatch of holiday email campaigns marketers must ensure their lists are up-to-date and accurate to protect ROI and maintain a healthy reputation among consumers and ISPs alike.
Misspellings and typos entered during email acquisition need to be identified and amended. Too many "unknown user" bounces associated with an IP address via a particular ISP could lead to blocking or blacklisting. Tools are available that will correct obvious and common errors such as 'bob#gmail.com' or 'sally@yahoocom'.
Distribution email addresses such as sales@ or postmaster@ should also be removed, as should any email address with the word "spam" in it.
Inactive subscribers should be approached at this time. A series of re-marketing campaigns, or a straight-forward "do you wish to continue to subscribe?" communication, should weed out those who no longer wish to be contacted.
Bear in mind, too, that an opting-out consumer may be expressing their desire to no longer receive emails but may be open to staying connected via social channels.
Self-serve lead generation and targeted email marketing platform Marketfish has just announced the launch of their "Clean Data Dream Team", reports Adotas, Before being used lists are cleaned using 60 different filters.
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- We2 to connect NYC's retailers and consumers via 'social WiFi'
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
- How to build loyalty through games
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...