News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Smartphone users asked where and why they scan QR Codes
QR Codes have caused quite a buzz among marketers, but what about the people they're targeted at? Market researchers Lab42 asked 500 American adults where they saw QR Codes, if they used them and what is was that motivated them to scan.
First off, over half (58%) of the 500 Americans age 18 and over surveyed by Lab42 said they weren't familiar QR Codes. That's partly because some don't own a smartphone (26%) and those that do haven't yet stumbled across a code (17%).
Of those that are familiar with QR Codes (42%) over two-thirds (67%) have seen them in magazines or in retail stores (62%). Other places where QR Codes have caught smartphone owners' eyes are on billboards and posters (40%), in restaurants (36%) and museums (25%).
So what is it that drives a smartphone user to run up the barcode reader app, take aim and scan a QR Code? Unsurprisingly the biggest motivator is the promise of a discount (46%) although requesting product information isn't far behind (44%).
Curiosity was cited by almost as many again (43%) but few (28%) are driven by the quality of the ad associated with the code.
Over half (58%) of those familiar with QR Codes know that QR stands for Quick Response, and fast access to information is one of the benefits expressed of scanning the codes.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...