News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Smartphone users asked where and why they scan QR Codes
QR Codes have caused quite a buzz among marketers, but what about the people they're targeted at? Market researchers Lab42 asked 500 American adults where they saw QR Codes, if they used them and what is was that motivated them to scan.
First off, over half (58%) of the 500 Americans age 18 and over surveyed by Lab42 said they weren't familiar QR Codes. That's partly because some don't own a smartphone (26%) and those that do haven't yet stumbled across a code (17%).
Of those that are familiar with QR Codes (42%) over two-thirds (67%) have seen them in magazines or in retail stores (62%). Other places where QR Codes have caught smartphone owners' eyes are on billboards and posters (40%), in restaurants (36%) and museums (25%).
So what is it that drives a smartphone user to run up the barcode reader app, take aim and scan a QR Code? Unsurprisingly the biggest motivator is the promise of a discount (46%) although requesting product information isn't far behind (44%).
Curiosity was cited by almost as many again (43%) but few (28%) are driven by the quality of the ad associated with the code.
Over half (58%) of those familiar with QR Codes know that QR stands for Quick Response, and fast access to information is one of the benefits expressed of scanning the codes.
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...