News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Smartphone users asked where and why they scan QR Codes
QR Codes have caused quite a buzz among marketers, but what about the people they're targeted at? Market researchers Lab42 asked 500 American adults where they saw QR Codes, if they used them and what is was that motivated them to scan.
First off, over half (58%) of the 500 Americans age 18 and over surveyed by Lab42 said they weren't familiar QR Codes. That's partly because some don't own a smartphone (26%) and those that do haven't yet stumbled across a code (17%).
Of those that are familiar with QR Codes (42%) over two-thirds (67%) have seen them in magazines or in retail stores (62%). Other places where QR Codes have caught smartphone owners' eyes are on billboards and posters (40%), in restaurants (36%) and museums (25%).
So what is it that drives a smartphone user to run up the barcode reader app, take aim and scan a QR Code? Unsurprisingly the biggest motivator is the promise of a discount (46%) although requesting product information isn't far behind (44%).
Curiosity was cited by almost as many again (43%) but few (28%) are driven by the quality of the ad associated with the code.
Over half (58%) of those familiar with QR Codes know that QR stands for Quick Response, and fast access to information is one of the benefits expressed of scanning the codes.
- How Facebook, AdWords can work together
- Study: Tuesday/Thursday are best days for sharing
- Survey: Bitcoin making more waves
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...