News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
How gamification is changing loyalty marketing
Gamification is helping to rebuild the loyalty space. In an area where marketers weren't engaging consumers because their ads, emails or newsletters weren't relevant, games make it simpler for brands to engage and for consumers to earn rewards. This, of course, keeps the consumer coming back.
I recently had the chance to chat with Badgeville CEO Kris Duggan about the Badgeville platform; you can read that article here. Now, for Kris' take on trends in the category.
Kristina: How is gamification changing the loyalty space? And why is it happening now - has technology 'caught up' with what consumers want?
Kris Duggan, Badgeville:Gamification, in many forms, is just another form of loyalty; but what's really changing here is that identity is now available on the web (because of sites like Facebook and Twitter). Also, the social graph is a major accelerant to the value of social rewards and behavior. Overall, gamification can be about loyalty or engagement--it means lots of different things--and both have huge benefits to brands.
Kristina: What trends are you seeing in social loyalty?
Kris: One observation is that even companies you wouldn't expect to have a loyalty strategy now do (i.e., in education, healthcare, and government). Finding ways to make social experiences meaningful and exciting is a major trend and it's falling under the umbrella of gamification.
Kristina: What do you expect to see from gamification/social loyalty moving into 2012?
Kris: I expect to see even deeper social capabilities. Right now, Gamification 1.0 is about status, reputation, points, level, achievements--powerful motivating sources of behavior. The next phase is making those much more social, akin to how social gaming elevated gaming and transformed the industry. We will see that happen in the gamification space.
- Study: Mobile users will wait
- SendGrid launches email service
- IAB UK: Fashion retailers perform best in mobile marketing
- Mobile offers, coupons big draw for Dads
- Cardiff University beats prestigious Oxford in online presence stakes
- Report: SMBs missing out on mobile commerce
- Reports: Consumers want television everywhere
- SMBs: The marketplace is getting tougher
Featured White Papers
- 8 Key Plays For Sales Success
Pull ahead of your competition by learning best practices for incorporating these new technologies into your daily sales & marketing...
- How to Drive More Traffic Without Increasing Budget
Counterfeiters are adept at mimicking top brands' digital marketing strategies by building pay per click (PPC) campaigns that exploit both...
- Explain What You Do: How a simple explainer video increased online conversion by 20%
In this case study we examine the explainer video for Inbenta, a natural language processing service operating in a highly...
- 7 Reasons To Consider Responsive Design For Your Companys Next Generation Website
In this white paper, learn the 7 reasons to consider responsive design for your company's next generation website. With the...
- Forrester Report: Digital Customer Experience Trends to Watch 2013
Digital touchpoints support an increasingly large percentage of the overall customer experience. 2012 saw the emergence of several important digital...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Beyond Last Touch: Understanding Campaign Effectiveness
Understanding what drives customers to take action is critical to your advertising investments. However, with a flood of available metrics...