News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook launches zip code targeting
Long used by direct mail marketers, zip code targeting is coming to Facebook, but the effectiveness of the program relies on the willingness of users to provide accurate details about where they live.
On the face of it the new zip code targeting feature is of immense value to marketers. Until now ads could only be targeted down to city but as of next week marketers can drill down and target ads and sponsored stores to users in specific zip code areas.
Zip code targeting has long been used by direct marketers, allowing them to pick up on specific demographics in areas within cities. From next week and so long as Facebook users have input their zip code in their profile information, marketers can utilize that data.
The announcement, says Inside Facebook, explains why users have been prompted to confirm their zip codes via side-bar modules in recent months.
According to Facebook's developers blog, "Targeting via ZIP codes brings about location targeting functionality to 5-digit ZIP codes within the United States, specified by the United States Postal Service (USPS), and opens up another avenue for advertisers to market to their desired audience."
International codes are not yet covered and only 5-digit US zip codes are currently supported.
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...