News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook launches zip code targeting
Long used by direct mail marketers, zip code targeting is coming to Facebook, but the effectiveness of the program relies on the willingness of users to provide accurate details about where they live.
On the face of it the new zip code targeting feature is of immense value to marketers. Until now ads could only be targeted down to city but as of next week marketers can drill down and target ads and sponsored stores to users in specific zip code areas.
Zip code targeting has long been used by direct marketers, allowing them to pick up on specific demographics in areas within cities. From next week and so long as Facebook users have input their zip code in their profile information, marketers can utilize that data.
The announcement, says Inside Facebook, explains why users have been prompted to confirm their zip codes via side-bar modules in recent months.
According to Facebook's developers blog, "Targeting via ZIP codes brings about location targeting functionality to 5-digit ZIP codes within the United States, specified by the United States Postal Service (USPS), and opens up another avenue for advertisers to market to their desired audience."
International codes are not yet covered and only 5-digit US zip codes are currently supported.
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...