News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook launches zip code targeting
Long used by direct mail marketers, zip code targeting is coming to Facebook, but the effectiveness of the program relies on the willingness of users to provide accurate details about where they live.
On the face of it the new zip code targeting feature is of immense value to marketers. Until now ads could only be targeted down to city but as of next week marketers can drill down and target ads and sponsored stores to users in specific zip code areas.
Zip code targeting has long been used by direct marketers, allowing them to pick up on specific demographics in areas within cities. From next week and so long as Facebook users have input their zip code in their profile information, marketers can utilize that data.
The announcement, says Inside Facebook, explains why users have been prompted to confirm their zip codes via side-bar modules in recent months.
According to Facebook's developers blog, "Targeting via ZIP codes brings about location targeting functionality to 5-digit ZIP codes within the United States, specified by the United States Postal Service (USPS), and opens up another avenue for advertisers to market to their desired audience."
International codes are not yet covered and only 5-digit US zip codes are currently supported.
- Brands: How Chat-As-A-Service can work for you
- Survey: Computers are the connection of choice for sports fans
- Expert: The link between returns and cart abandons
- Mobile Roundup: App releases focus on connection, analysis
- Amazon's latest delivery location - the trunk of your car
- How mobile will change in 2015
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to deepen brands' reach
- Survey IDs SEO platforms most brand friendly
Featured White Papers
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...