News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook launches zip code targeting
Long used by direct mail marketers, zip code targeting is coming to Facebook, but the effectiveness of the program relies on the willingness of users to provide accurate details about where they live.
On the face of it the new zip code targeting feature is of immense value to marketers. Until now ads could only be targeted down to city but as of next week marketers can drill down and target ads and sponsored stores to users in specific zip code areas.
Zip code targeting has long been used by direct marketers, allowing them to pick up on specific demographics in areas within cities. From next week and so long as Facebook users have input their zip code in their profile information, marketers can utilize that data.
The announcement, says Inside Facebook, explains why users have been prompted to confirm their zip codes via side-bar modules in recent months.
According to Facebook's developers blog, "Targeting via ZIP codes brings about location targeting functionality to 5-digit ZIP codes within the United States, specified by the United States Postal Service (USPS), and opens up another avenue for advertisers to market to their desired audience."
International codes are not yet covered and only 5-digit US zip codes are currently supported.
- Report: Autofill features on social media improve conversions
- Brands: Why You Need Millennials
- Mobile Roundup: More shoppers choosing mobile
- Survey: For routine accounting, SMBs trust in-house
- Mobile-friendly email strategies paying off for marketers
- The growing impact of online performance on sales and customer experience
- Dedicated email marketing teams significantly affect ROI
- How to predict shopper behavior outside surveys
Featured White Papers