News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook ditches Daily Deals
After four months of testing in places such as Atlanta, Dallas and San Francisco, Facebook has made the decision to ditch its Deals program despite acknowledging that there "is a lot of power in a social approach to driving people into local businesses".
Facebook's Daily Deals, a feature similar to that offered by the likes of Groupon and LivingSocial, is no more. This should not be confused with Check-In Deals which presents users with offers when they check in to locations via Facebook Places. Daily Deals - arranged by a sales team with local merchants - were emailed to Facebook users who signed up to the program.
No reason was given for the decision to ditch Daily Deals, but Facebook remains positive, saying "we remain committed to building products to help local businesses connect with people, like Ads, Pages, Sponsored Stories, and Check-in Deals."
Vinicius Vacanti, co-founder of Yipit.com, wasn't surprised to hear of Facebook's decision saying the Deals product had been "an underwhelming product and experience".
"I don't believe this means daily deals are not a viable business," Vacanti added. "It more suggests that large media and tech companies can't just 'turn on' daily deals and expect them to work. It has to be more thoughtfully integrated into their existing product."
- Colors effect sharing behavior on Pinterest
- Survey highlights importance of returns process to consumer loyalty
- 45% of marketers to invest in events during 2015
- Barclays Bank launches Twitter payments
- Advertising for young children looks promising on a new YouTube app for kids
- Twitter responses to customer queries slow and sloppy
- App channel worth over £4 billion to UK brands
- Facebook: 2 million advertisers milestone and new mobile ad manager
Featured White Papers
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- How to Promote and Measure Hashtag Campaigns
A single hashtag can connect your brand messaging across each of the major social networks. Learn how hashtags can be...