News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook ditches Daily Deals
After four months of testing in places such as Atlanta, Dallas and San Francisco, Facebook has made the decision to ditch its Deals program despite acknowledging that there "is a lot of power in a social approach to driving people into local businesses".
Facebook's Daily Deals, a feature similar to that offered by the likes of Groupon and LivingSocial, is no more. This should not be confused with Check-In Deals which presents users with offers when they check in to locations via Facebook Places. Daily Deals - arranged by a sales team with local merchants - were emailed to Facebook users who signed up to the program.
No reason was given for the decision to ditch Daily Deals, but Facebook remains positive, saying "we remain committed to building products to help local businesses connect with people, like Ads, Pages, Sponsored Stories, and Check-in Deals."
Vinicius Vacanti, co-founder of Yipit.com, wasn't surprised to hear of Facebook's decision saying the Deals product had been "an underwhelming product and experience".
"I don't believe this means daily deals are not a viable business," Vacanti added. "It more suggests that large media and tech companies can't just 'turn on' daily deals and expect them to work. It has to be more thoughtfully integrated into their existing product."
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
- Top tips to reduce involuntary churn
- Smart Glasses that look like regular specs will invigorate market
- Less than 1 in 5 CRM managers feel they contribute to business revenues
- Forecast: Retail to show steady growth through 2017
- Report: Mobile CTOs down YoY
- Report: Desktops still lead online spending
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...