News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook ditches Daily Deals
After four months of testing in places such as Atlanta, Dallas and San Francisco, Facebook has made the decision to ditch its Deals program despite acknowledging that there "is a lot of power in a social approach to driving people into local businesses".
Facebook's Daily Deals, a feature similar to that offered by the likes of Groupon and LivingSocial, is no more. This should not be confused with Check-In Deals which presents users with offers when they check in to locations via Facebook Places. Daily Deals - arranged by a sales team with local merchants - were emailed to Facebook users who signed up to the program.
No reason was given for the decision to ditch Daily Deals, but Facebook remains positive, saying "we remain committed to building products to help local businesses connect with people, like Ads, Pages, Sponsored Stories, and Check-in Deals."
Vinicius Vacanti, co-founder of Yipit.com, wasn't surprised to hear of Facebook's decision saying the Deals product had been "an underwhelming product and experience".
"I don't believe this means daily deals are not a viable business," Vacanti added. "It more suggests that large media and tech companies can't just 'turn on' daily deals and expect them to work. It has to be more thoughtfully integrated into their existing product."
- Survey: Online, offline shopping experiences 'merging'
- Message Systems flips email to up engagement
- Marketers beware - research your target market or risk stereotyping
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
- Survey: Consumers want to share product details with friends
- PageFair: Adblocking Goes Mainstream
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...