News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook ditches Daily Deals
After four months of testing in places such as Atlanta, Dallas and San Francisco, Facebook has made the decision to ditch its Deals program despite acknowledging that there "is a lot of power in a social approach to driving people into local businesses".
Facebook's Daily Deals, a feature similar to that offered by the likes of Groupon and LivingSocial, is no more. This should not be confused with Check-In Deals which presents users with offers when they check in to locations via Facebook Places. Daily Deals - arranged by a sales team with local merchants - were emailed to Facebook users who signed up to the program.
No reason was given for the decision to ditch Daily Deals, but Facebook remains positive, saying "we remain committed to building products to help local businesses connect with people, like Ads, Pages, Sponsored Stories, and Check-in Deals."
Vinicius Vacanti, co-founder of Yipit.com, wasn't surprised to hear of Facebook's decision saying the Deals product had been "an underwhelming product and experience".
"I don't believe this means daily deals are not a viable business," Vacanti added. "It more suggests that large media and tech companies can't just 'turn on' daily deals and expect them to work. It has to be more thoughtfully integrated into their existing product."
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...