News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Video more important to younger men
Short-form content - movie trailers, music video, funny clips, sports highlights - remain the most viewed online video content, but the video landscape is rapidly changing. New research from Frank N. Magid Associates and Metacafe finds that younger consumers, specifically men, are watching more online video content. Some are even spurning television for the Web.
"Today's young male consumers are entertainment enthusiasts who live online and consider their laptop or PC the center of their universe," said Erick Hachenburg, CEO of Metacafe. "For those of us in the content business, this means we need to deliver an experience that feeds this voracious appetite for short-form video entertainment. For brand advertisers, this means that the young male audience is getting harder and harder to reach if online isn't a primary part of media plans."
According to data from comScore 178 million American's watched nearly 17 hours of online video (per person) programming during the month of June. More than six billion video sessions were launched for the month, with most viewers 'tuning in' through Google's YouTube outlet. Even with the rapid adoption of video content, only about 5 billion video ad impressions were served, that is about 13% of the time spent with video content. Video ads are estimated to reach just under 50% of the US population currently.
"Online video is an increasingly important part of the overall entertainment mix for consumers - especially young male influencers," said Mike Vorhaus, president of Magid Advisors. "We are in the middle of a fundamental change - from a culture in which the television set and TV programming are the de facto standard to one in which computing devices and Internet programming are ever more important for 18- to 34-year-olds and the advertisers who speak to them."
How is video consumption changing entertainment? Researchers found:
A copy of the report can be found here.
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
- How to measure engagement to reach a deeper customer relationship
- Survey: Amazon influencing back to school shoppers
- Hilton gives guests greater control with significant app upgrade
- Top 3 tips for better channel optimization
- Study: Sales, marketing disconnect resulting in bad customer experience
- UK businesses failing to consistently and effectively employ social for customer support
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...