News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Site visitor numbers plummet 90% after EU cookie law change
Following the introduction of a new European cookie law the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) reports worrying news for retailers across Europe - a 90% decrease in visitors to its website.
The ICO was one of the first web sites in the UK to introduce the policy after an EU directive required that websites obtain consent from visitors if cookies are to be stored on their computers.
Under the directive, introduced in May this year, website visitors have to agree upfront to the uploading of cookies to their device - rather than the consent being hidden in terms and conditions as it has previously.
However, this directive has played havoc with the ICO's website visitor numbers. Since implementing the required changes they have seen the number of visitors to their website drop a whopping 90%.
"The drop in traffic shows the lack of understanding on the part of the user about privacy issues and cookie usage and follows the Law of Unintended Consequences," says Paul Vlissidis, technical director of NGS Secure, an NCC Group company.
"It is likely that most users were unaware of downloading cookies or even what cookies do since many never read T&Cs. Now that it's being presented to them in a clear and present manner, they are being frightened away from using a site."
Malcolm Duckett, CEO of digital marketing agency Magiq, finds the statistics "staggering" and feels many businesses across European will be worried by the figures.
"The implications of not complying are huge, but it is worrying to see such a dramatic fall-off in visitors," he said.
"At a time when the high street is suffering, it has never been more important for e-commerce sites to be seen as trusted and reliable by customers, and this is a disquieting red flag to all web sites that will need to ensure compliance."
- Survey: Online, offline shopping experiences 'merging'
- Message Systems flips email to up engagement
- Marketers beware - research your target market or risk stereotyping
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
- Survey: Consumers want to share product details with friends
- PageFair: Adblocking Goes Mainstream
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...