News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Site visitor numbers plummet 90% after EU cookie law change
Following the introduction of a new European cookie law the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) reports worrying news for retailers across Europe - a 90% decrease in visitors to its website.
The ICO was one of the first web sites in the UK to introduce the policy after an EU directive required that websites obtain consent from visitors if cookies are to be stored on their computers.
Under the directive, introduced in May this year, website visitors have to agree upfront to the uploading of cookies to their device - rather than the consent being hidden in terms and conditions as it has previously.
However, this directive has played havoc with the ICO's website visitor numbers. Since implementing the required changes they have seen the number of visitors to their website drop a whopping 90%.
"The drop in traffic shows the lack of understanding on the part of the user about privacy issues and cookie usage and follows the Law of Unintended Consequences," says Paul Vlissidis, technical director of NGS Secure, an NCC Group company.
"It is likely that most users were unaware of downloading cookies or even what cookies do since many never read T&Cs. Now that it's being presented to them in a clear and present manner, they are being frightened away from using a site."
Malcolm Duckett, CEO of digital marketing agency Magiq, finds the statistics "staggering" and feels many businesses across European will be worried by the figures.
"The implications of not complying are huge, but it is worrying to see such a dramatic fall-off in visitors," he said.
"At a time when the high street is suffering, it has never been more important for e-commerce sites to be seen as trusted and reliable by customers, and this is a disquieting red flag to all web sites that will need to ensure compliance."
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
- Study: Mobiles don't want to be interrupted
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...