News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Site visitor numbers plummet 90% after EU cookie law change
Following the introduction of a new European cookie law the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) reports worrying news for retailers across Europe - a 90% decrease in visitors to its website.
The ICO was one of the first web sites in the UK to introduce the policy after an EU directive required that websites obtain consent from visitors if cookies are to be stored on their computers.
Under the directive, introduced in May this year, website visitors have to agree upfront to the uploading of cookies to their device - rather than the consent being hidden in terms and conditions as it has previously.
However, this directive has played havoc with the ICO's website visitor numbers. Since implementing the required changes they have seen the number of visitors to their website drop a whopping 90%.
"The drop in traffic shows the lack of understanding on the part of the user about privacy issues and cookie usage and follows the Law of Unintended Consequences," says Paul Vlissidis, technical director of NGS Secure, an NCC Group company.
"It is likely that most users were unaware of downloading cookies or even what cookies do since many never read T&Cs. Now that it's being presented to them in a clear and present manner, they are being frightened away from using a site."
Malcolm Duckett, CEO of digital marketing agency Magiq, finds the statistics "staggering" and feels many businesses across European will be worried by the figures.
"The implications of not complying are huge, but it is worrying to see such a dramatic fall-off in visitors," he said.
"At a time when the high street is suffering, it has never been more important for e-commerce sites to be seen as trusted and reliable by customers, and this is a disquieting red flag to all web sites that will need to ensure compliance."
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...