News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Privacy concerns hinder Facebook commerce
More research points to security and privacy concerns being the main reasons behind the slow adoption of shopping on social networks.
Last month a Havas Media Social/Lightspeed Research survey found that many British consumers don't shop via social networks because of security concerns. Even if a special offer was featured on a brand's social network page, most would prefer to redeem that offer on the brand's official website.
New research from marketing communications agency JWT echoes the Havas/Lightspeed research. It found that almost 80% of adults in the UK and US worry that Facebook isn't a secure environment in which to shop online.
Three-quarters said they "wouldn't use a shopping application on Facebook because of concerns that it could compromise my privacy--e.g., shared with third parties" or that Facebook wasn't secure enough to make purchases on.
A surprising statistic from JWT's findings is that Millennials were the most concerned about privacy for direct shopping via Facebook (81%) compared to Gen X (75%) and even Boomers (79%).
Many of these hurdles are the same ones retailers encountered when they first ventured into e-commerce more than a decade ago," says JWTs "Social Commerce" report.
"As they experiment with F-commerce, brands can look at the lessons from that time period for guidance on how to overcome these challenges and ease consumer concerns."
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
- Top 3 tips to strengthen travel-based ad strategy
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...