News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Privacy concerns hinder Facebook commerce
More research points to security and privacy concerns being the main reasons behind the slow adoption of shopping on social networks.
Last month a Havas Media Social/Lightspeed Research survey found that many British consumers don't shop via social networks because of security concerns. Even if a special offer was featured on a brand's social network page, most would prefer to redeem that offer on the brand's official website.
New research from marketing communications agency JWT echoes the Havas/Lightspeed research. It found that almost 80% of adults in the UK and US worry that Facebook isn't a secure environment in which to shop online.
Three-quarters said they "wouldn't use a shopping application on Facebook because of concerns that it could compromise my privacy--e.g., shared with third parties" or that Facebook wasn't secure enough to make purchases on.
A surprising statistic from JWT's findings is that Millennials were the most concerned about privacy for direct shopping via Facebook (81%) compared to Gen X (75%) and even Boomers (79%).
Many of these hurdles are the same ones retailers encountered when they first ventured into e-commerce more than a decade ago," says JWTs "Social Commerce" report.
"As they experiment with F-commerce, brands can look at the lessons from that time period for guidance on how to overcome these challenges and ease consumer concerns."
- Study: Nearly one-third say they 'don't do enough' to internationalize their business
- Millennials say the right content drives brand loyalty
- Consumers not impressed by engagement of branded apps
- Online shoppers excited about possibility of drone deliveries
- Colors affect sharing behavior on Pinterest
- Survey highlights importance of returns process to consumer loyalty
- 45% of marketers to invest in events during 2015
- Barclays Bank launches Twitter payments
Featured White Papers
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- How to Promote and Measure Hashtag Campaigns
A single hashtag can connect your brand messaging across each of the major social networks. Learn how hashtags can be...