News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Privacy concerns hinder Facebook commerce
More research points to security and privacy concerns being the main reasons behind the slow adoption of shopping on social networks.
Last month a Havas Media Social/Lightspeed Research survey found that many British consumers don't shop via social networks because of security concerns. Even if a special offer was featured on a brand's social network page, most would prefer to redeem that offer on the brand's official website.
New research from marketing communications agency JWT echoes the Havas/Lightspeed research. It found that almost 80% of adults in the UK and US worry that Facebook isn't a secure environment in which to shop online.
Three-quarters said they "wouldn't use a shopping application on Facebook because of concerns that it could compromise my privacy--e.g., shared with third parties" or that Facebook wasn't secure enough to make purchases on.
A surprising statistic from JWT's findings is that Millennials were the most concerned about privacy for direct shopping via Facebook (81%) compared to Gen X (75%) and even Boomers (79%).
Many of these hurdles are the same ones retailers encountered when they first ventured into e-commerce more than a decade ago," says JWTs "Social Commerce" report.
"As they experiment with F-commerce, brands can look at the lessons from that time period for guidance on how to overcome these challenges and ease consumer concerns."
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...