News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: 25% prefer Internet access via smartphone
As more and more Americans swap their old feature phones for smartphones some are shunning their home computers in favor of accessing the Internet on their mobile devices. Pew's first-ever smartphone use survey reveals why.
Today in the US 42% of mobile phone users, and 35% of all adults, pack the power of a smartphone in their pocket. Most smartphone owners (87%) use their device to access the Internet and their email while on the go, and 68% do so on a daily basis, found the Pew Internet Project's survey on smartphone use.
Portable, prolific and powerful as they are, smartphones aren't yet replacing the use of desktop or laptop computers to access the Internet. Pew's survey found that 84% of smartphone owners also own a laptop or desktop computer.
However, there is a shift towards using mobile devices as a primary connection to the Internet and 25% of those surveyed by Pew said they prefer to use their smartphone for this task.
There's a clue in Pew's findings as to why that 25% might prefer to access the Internet from their smartphone.
"While many of these individuals have other sources of online access at home, roughly one third of these "cell mostly" Internet users lack a high-speed home broadband connection."
And the most popular smartphone operating system is...? Android, according to Pew, with a healthy lead at 35% compared to 24% apiece for iPhone and Blackberry.
Nielsen recently revealed that the amount of data used by the average smartphone user has risen a whopping 89% over the past 12 months. This "mobile data tsunami", as Nielsen's Don Kellogg refers to it, is being driven by smartphone adoption and app-friendly operating systems.
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
- Five-fold YoY growth in contactless payment use in UK
- Marketing spend on social to rise from 11% to a quarter of budget
- Checking email chews up 6.3 hours per day
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...