News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: 25% prefer Internet access via smartphone
As more and more Americans swap their old feature phones for smartphones some are shunning their home computers in favor of accessing the Internet on their mobile devices. Pew's first-ever smartphone use survey reveals why.
Today in the US 42% of mobile phone users, and 35% of all adults, pack the power of a smartphone in their pocket. Most smartphone owners (87%) use their device to access the Internet and their email while on the go, and 68% do so on a daily basis, found the Pew Internet Project's survey on smartphone use.
Portable, prolific and powerful as they are, smartphones aren't yet replacing the use of desktop or laptop computers to access the Internet. Pew's survey found that 84% of smartphone owners also own a laptop or desktop computer.
However, there is a shift towards using mobile devices as a primary connection to the Internet and 25% of those surveyed by Pew said they prefer to use their smartphone for this task.
There's a clue in Pew's findings as to why that 25% might prefer to access the Internet from their smartphone.
"While many of these individuals have other sources of online access at home, roughly one third of these "cell mostly" Internet users lack a high-speed home broadband connection."
And the most popular smartphone operating system is...? Android, according to Pew, with a healthy lead at 35% compared to 24% apiece for iPhone and Blackberry.
Nielsen recently revealed that the amount of data used by the average smartphone user has risen a whopping 89% over the past 12 months. This "mobile data tsunami", as Nielsen's Don Kellogg refers to it, is being driven by smartphone adoption and app-friendly operating systems.
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...