News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: 25% prefer Internet access via smartphone
As more and more Americans swap their old feature phones for smartphones some are shunning their home computers in favor of accessing the Internet on their mobile devices. Pew's first-ever smartphone use survey reveals why.
Today in the US 42% of mobile phone users, and 35% of all adults, pack the power of a smartphone in their pocket. Most smartphone owners (87%) use their device to access the Internet and their email while on the go, and 68% do so on a daily basis, found the Pew Internet Project's survey on smartphone use.
Portable, prolific and powerful as they are, smartphones aren't yet replacing the use of desktop or laptop computers to access the Internet. Pew's survey found that 84% of smartphone owners also own a laptop or desktop computer.
However, there is a shift towards using mobile devices as a primary connection to the Internet and 25% of those surveyed by Pew said they prefer to use their smartphone for this task.
There's a clue in Pew's findings as to why that 25% might prefer to access the Internet from their smartphone.
"While many of these individuals have other sources of online access at home, roughly one third of these "cell mostly" Internet users lack a high-speed home broadband connection."
And the most popular smartphone operating system is...? Android, according to Pew, with a healthy lead at 35% compared to 24% apiece for iPhone and Blackberry.
Nielsen recently revealed that the amount of data used by the average smartphone user has risen a whopping 89% over the past 12 months. This "mobile data tsunami", as Nielsen's Don Kellogg refers to it, is being driven by smartphone adoption and app-friendly operating systems.
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
- Study: Mobiles don't want to be interrupted
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...