News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew: 25% prefer Internet access via smartphone
As more and more Americans swap their old feature phones for smartphones some are shunning their home computers in favor of accessing the Internet on their mobile devices. Pew's first-ever smartphone use survey reveals why.
Today in the US 42% of mobile phone users, and 35% of all adults, pack the power of a smartphone in their pocket. Most smartphone owners (87%) use their device to access the Internet and their email while on the go, and 68% do so on a daily basis, found the Pew Internet Project's survey on smartphone use.
Portable, prolific and powerful as they are, smartphones aren't yet replacing the use of desktop or laptop computers to access the Internet. Pew's survey found that 84% of smartphone owners also own a laptop or desktop computer.
However, there is a shift towards using mobile devices as a primary connection to the Internet and 25% of those surveyed by Pew said they prefer to use their smartphone for this task.
There's a clue in Pew's findings as to why that 25% might prefer to access the Internet from their smartphone.
"While many of these individuals have other sources of online access at home, roughly one third of these "cell mostly" Internet users lack a high-speed home broadband connection."
And the most popular smartphone operating system is...? Android, according to Pew, with a healthy lead at 35% compared to 24% apiece for iPhone and Blackberry.
Nielsen recently revealed that the amount of data used by the average smartphone user has risen a whopping 89% over the past 12 months. This "mobile data tsunami", as Nielsen's Don Kellogg refers to it, is being driven by smartphone adoption and app-friendly operating systems.
- Top 3 annoyances for mobile shoppers
- Study: Black Millennials betting on themselves
- Top 3 tips to take Valentine's strategies year-round
- No age limit to looking for love online
- Goodbye second-screening, hello switch-screening
- Less than one-third of emails opened on desktop last year
- Ad Roundup: Platforms for sales, ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to get more from email on Valentine's campaigns
Featured White Papers
- Device of Choice for Online Shoppers & Buyers
Did you know that men shop and buy from mobile devices more than women? Being aware of nuances like this...
- 5 'Must Have' Tactics For Your 2016 Digital Marketing Plan
What are the 5 "must have" tactics that experts agree can help everyone's 2016 digital marketing?...
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....