News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Americans worry about online corporate snooping
More than half of Internet users in the US worry that they're being stalked online. It's not the Government or an ex-lover they fear, it's big business.
Over 80% of Americans use the Internet, and many believe that when they're surfing the net they're being watched.
A survey by the Center for the Digital Future at the University of Southern California reveals that nearly half (48%) of online Americans worry about businesses snooping on them online.
By comparison, 38% worry about the Government doing the snooping.
"Many of us are worried that the Big Brother in our lives is actually Big Business," said Jeffrey I. Cole, director of the Center for the Digital Future.
"Internet users have major concerns about corporate intrusion - and who can blame them?"
However, these concerns aren't preventing people from using the Internet. Over two-thirds go shopping online. While many are still worried about their privacy when shopping online fewer are concerned today (48%) than in 2009 (54%).
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
- Report: More money to focus on branded content
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
Featured White Papers
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...